Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Apps / Gmail Spam Questions

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, August 28, 2007
16 years ago3,037 views

Forgive my ignorance, I only use Gmail as a secondary email account but am thinking about moving my personal domain to use Google Apps. However, since some of my family prefer to use mail forwarders rather than the actual email address, I've got some questions about how email (mainly spam) is handled.

1) When you use "Mailing Lists" in Google Apps, you can configure these to basically act as forwarders for any email address. Will these Mailing Lists filter out spam or will every single email sent to the mailing list get forwarded to all recipients? (I assume every email will be sent as there's nowhere to view the spam otherwise.)

2) Does Gmail filter spam that isn't sent directly to your @gmail.com address (or Google Apps for your domain email address)? For example, if I setup a forwarder to send email from a non-Gmail account to my Gmail account and Gmail thinks it's spam, would it land in my inbox or be labeled as spam? (I assume it gets treated the same as spam sent directly to the account...)

3) Once an email is labeled as spam, is there any way to download it via POP3 other than forwarding the message to yourself?

Of course, it's hard to test all this... unless anyone knows any tricks that will get a message marked as spam in Gmail?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Why only as secondary?

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

3. i think there is a way to disable the spam filter, ist'n it?

16 years ago #

Well, mainly because I never got round to moving to Google Apps.

I prefer to use my own domain, and before Google Apps was available, Gmail's "Send mail as:" feature wasn't satisfactory because it includes the X-Sender mail header which I don't like because it displays your Gmail address in certain mail clients. And when Google Apps was finally released, my domain registrar wouldn't allow me to change my MX records. I transferred it to one where I get more control a while ago but just never got round to migrating, mainly because of the above issues.

16 years ago #

stefan2904, I don't think so... unless anyone can tell me how?

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

no idea, sorry. only the forward-way..

[create a filter, set "Has the words:" to "is:spam" and use "Forward it to:"]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!