Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google [ VIDEO ]Alerts  (View post)

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, September 26, 2007
16 years ago10,898 views

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-caffeine-free-way-to-stay-alert.html

Since new videos are constantly appearing all over the web, it's difficult to keep tabs on all of them. But now Google Alerts will make it easy for you to add video to your other Alerts: News, Web, Blog and Groups.

Video Alerts enables you to specify any topics or queries of interest so we can deliver interesting and relevant videos on a daily, weekly, or as-it-happens basis (your choice) to you via email. To start receiving Video Alerts, you can visit the Google Alerts homepage directly or set up the alert during your normal video searches. Videos may come from Google Video, YouTube, or any other video source on the web.

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Interesting ... but I only use Google Alerts (per week alerts) for Google stuff ... might want to add an extra video one for Google.

Above 2 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Andre Kiwitz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Is it offline again? I don't have a Video Option :-(

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Which language do you see Andre? It's still available here, but many it's one of those English-only things...

16 years ago #

Made a little sketchcast on the Google Video frameset issue.

http://sketchcast.com/view/N6JdF18

Hashim Warren [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

"The email footer will be added to every post too, and it contains a link to unsubscribe from your alert!"

The real pro create a script that takes that unsubscribe link out.

Hashim Warren [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

I created a search to find blogs that use this service, and have the unsubscribe link displayed:

http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS226US227&um=1&tab=wb&q=%22Remove+this+alert%22&scoring=d

Ken Aston [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hey, cool, and I guess, with the self organized automated blog, I can even subscribe to my alerts and read them in the Google Reader, right? Is there any other, more simple way of gettings news and video alerts in Google Reader?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< Is there any other, more simple way of gettings news and video alerts in Google Reader? >>

Once you've done your usual search in Google Video or Google News, click the "RSS" link in the top right (video) or on the left hand side (news).

16 years ago #

OK, I once tried this a while ago but then gave up. Here’s the task maybe one of you wants to tackle: set up an “automated Google service chain” which carries information from one point to another, using as many Google services as possible (with no human interaction once the chain is set up). It’s not very useful except to illustrate “Google Office/ OS” tool export import possibilities; other than that, it’s mostly a riddle.

Above is a great example: Google News email Alerts -> connected via blog-by-email to a Google Blogspot blog -> Google Reader subscribed to that blog's feed. Score: 3!

The higher the score, the better. Plus you can get an “infinity bonus” of 2 if you set up a circular chain that will feed itself!

Jeremy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

why does it say sex for google earth?

elyk [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Their rationale for showing the videos frames is the same for showing video the video search results in frames – it's how they add their "social" layer with ratings and such. Of course, this does have the nice side effect of making it their address that you bookmark, although at the moment they aren't immediately benefiting from that extra traffic (there's no ads in the frame at the moment).
Also, image search has showed its results in frames for years.

16 years ago #

Two points why it's more crucially helpful in image search:
1. Often the image is lost in piles of content above it, so you need to strong for quite some time to find it. This is not the case with these video sites, as they are optimized to show-case the video immediately.
2. At Google Images, you can click the image itself in the top frame, which is helpful because you will then see the image and nothing but. This doesn't work like that with videos as they are usually requiring an HTML wrapper around the Flash.

And Google Images does one thing crucially different:
- They don't take replicate social features the site might have, and they don't divert your attention away from the site by showing seemingly related "other site's pictures" on top. The site which hosts the image gets full credit, and can show-case its own functionality.

The key difference might be wrapped up by saying: there IS no definite "image URL" on the web, except the image file itself, and it's probably agreed-on that just linking to the image right-away would be bad style because it would not allow the site to e.g. display ads. But there IS a definite video URL on these video sites like YouTube – something like youtube.com/watch?v=INl10X5ZL9s "is" the video URL, by and large – and now Google replicates that video URL without a real need for that, as it worked fine on its own already. Sending away users as fast as possible, as Larry Page hinted at, this isn't.

I discussed this also with Ionut, who raised an interesting point: Some sites allow embedding of their video anyway, so Google could perhaps – depending on the terms of service I guess – display videos by those sites straight away. So it's an interesting issue what's legally OK/ what is netiquette.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< The higher the score, the better. Plus you can get an “infinity bonus” of 2 if you set up a circular chain that will feed itself! >>

How about this...

10 Subscribe to Google Blog Alerts for any feed
20 Publish these to Blogspot using blog-by-email
30 Subscribe to the feed using Google Reader and publicly share all items
40 Burn a feed from that shared feed using Feedburner
50 Subscribe to Google Blog Alerts for the Feedburner feed
60 Goto 20

Would that cause an infinite loop? You could even add a few more steps into it for good measure... like auto-forwarding the alert emails using Gmail.

16 years ago #

Interesting, Google also has a "BlogSend" address ("Enter an email address here to have your blog mailed to whenever you publish") but I wasn't able to hook it up to Gmail's auto-forwarding to the Mail-to-Blogger Address. Something in this loop wasn't working or was being prevented.

10 Subscribe to Google Blog Alerts for any feed
20 Publish these to Blogspot using blog-by-email <-- I didn't even get this far right now, for some reason

Google Tutor Junior [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

This is really cool, but as an aside, I'd really like them to pretty-up their Google Alerts page. While the rest of Google is having a design renaissance, Google Alerts looks very much like the old Google way of things in Design.

I'm preparing my Google Phone video alerts anyway. :) This should be a great way to have content (link) delivered to you regularly. That way, you don't spend too much time looking for videos, and just spend more time actually watcthing them..

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!