Google Blogoscoped

Forum

PageRank Penalties for Selling Text Links  (View post)

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, October 9, 2007
16 years ago5,118 views

Let justice prevail, and let natural find its way again.
Thanks G.

AC [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

"ironically while Google may deem text link sellers as spam... they still allow them to advertise using Google AdSense."

I guess Google is targeting linksellers that 'hardcode' their links into the HTML. Adsense links do not affect ranking because JavaScript links can not pass PR. Apples & oranges.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

AC, my phrasing wasn't very good: what I wanted to say/ what Danny was pointing out is that Google allows text link selling networks, like for instance text-link-ads.com, to advertise themselves using Google AdWords, meaning you will see AdSense ads for such services appear on random websites. I changed my text now.

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'd say the real news here is that they are giving out editorial PageRank now, not just the algorithmically calculated PageRank that we've all come to know and love.

Google having different rules for different sites and not minding making a buck off of things is definitely not news.

16 years ago #

> I'd say the real news here is that they are giving out
> editorial PageRank now, not just the algorithmically
> calculated PageRank that we've all come to know
> and love.

My guess is sites have been always been sometimes manually downranked/ Googleaxed. I mean, look at the BMW.de case: the site was using some spammy doorway pages technique for years, then it made blog news, and all of a sudden BMW was gone from Google rankings.
http://blogoscoped.com/search/?q=bmw

Google used to like to tell the world how they're pretty much completely automated, but not only do they make many editorial choices... even the algorithms are obviously human-made (and human-tested... by a group selected by Google).

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think this does mark a transition, that a line has been crossed. See my blog post just now:

http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/archives/001266.html

Jason McElweenie [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Editorial page ranking? Interesting concept, sounds kind of like the government

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

No... rather sounds like Yahoo. :-D

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I sell two (relevant) links on the homepage of my pr8 site, which helps me pay the hosting bill. I'd hate to see my pr drop because all-mighty Google (pbuh) doesn't like that.

Eugene Villar [PersonRank 5]

16 years ago #

Is PR the end-all-and-be-all of SEO? I think that PR only comes as a factor in SERPs when all else are equal (or close to it). I don't think that people should sensationalize PR changes much more than other white-hat forms of SEO.

clan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

no

16 years ago #

> I think that PR only comes as a factor in SERPs when
> all else are equal (or close to it).

Yes in so far as e.g. when one PR1 page has the phrase "foo bar xyz" and it's the only in the world with that phrase, and people search for it, they will find that page. But as soon as you're getting into territory of common words & popular search phrases (like say "essay on love" or dunno what) PR starts to matter. Also, the higher the PR of your pages, the higher the chance Google indexes every last one of them in timely fashion...

Yv. [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

From my understandings they only took the visual/external PR from the toolbar/datacenters down to make it less atractive for the site(s) to sell links. This without changing the internal/ranking authority of the site.

other famous link selling sites like phpbb.org, statcounter.com,digits.com still have a unchanged PR, meaning.... ??

Gabster [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Apples and Oranges – everyone understands the difference between search results and paid results.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!