Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Change AdSense Layouts Without Changing Snippet  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, October 23, 2007
16 years ago4,484 views

That's cool, especially for those who didn't have their AdSense account disabled.

AnotherChanceToSee [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Super cool. In my mind, that's ALWAYS the way it should have been anyway. I could never understand that if I wanted to tweak something a few weeks after creating a Unit, I had literally go back and re-create it from scratch. Great move G.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think Google will allow more customization so that's I decided they decided to optimize things.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> I could never understand that if I wanted to tweak
> something a few weeks after creating a Unit, I had literally
> go back and re-create it from scratch.

Or you can tweak the JavaScript itself on your site, e.g. its hexadecimal color values, as long as you make sure it ends up looking just like what the wizard produces... (or else it may be a visible ToS violation...)

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

I've been waiting for that...

Tiago Serafim [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

few drawbacks:
- you cannot change the size of an existing unit. If you need that, you must generate another code.
- you cannot change tweak the javascript anymore, since all the parameters'll be on G server.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

>>you cannot change tweak the javascript anymore, since all the parameters'll be on G server.
Perhaps this is an additional motivation behind the change – it makes it easier for them to enforce their tos regarding ad unit appearance (although you could still pull the referenced js file from their server, unless they now format the unit into plain html on their servers rather than doing that client side)

alek [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ditto what Philipp said that once you have the .js file, you can just fiddle with that directly – all that really needs to be done is have the channel ID setup.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!