Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How to Disable Animations in Firefox  (View post)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

Monday, October 29, 2007
16 years ago5,730 views

You can also right click on a flashblock placeholder and choose "Allow flash from this site". And don't forget to whitelist "mail.google.com" to hear Gmail Chat sounds...

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm currently using ABP (AdBlock Plus), a free addon who blocks ads by comparing URLs with lists you can download (it brings you the screen to download the first list after you install it). After that, you can also edit that list to remove or add more URLs. It boosts the navigation speed and you forget about what "advertisement" means.
http://adblockplus.org/en/
I prefer to use this instead of blocking every flash/animation, because sometimes you need or want to see 'em, say browsing YouTube or looking for a GIF animation for a web 1.0 (?) -ok, I don't know why I want to see GIFs, but maybe someone still needs them-.

RC [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just use Privoxy.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I <3 ABP too

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah, ABP also adds a little tab on top of each flash object so you can easily just click to block it.

Chouser [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

+1 @ AdBlock Plus from me too. But I also recommend NoScript, an add-on that disallows JavaScript from running in general, but makes it easy to whitelist specific sites. This not only disables the bulk of popups and flash ads, but also protects you from many XSS attacks, and browser security bugs. It's a bit more "invasive" than ABP, and probably isn't for everyone, but I'd recommend you try it.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm loving the Adblock Plus love... Wladimir has done some good stuff with it since I was involved back in the 0.5x iterations (initial whitelist support). Over 2 million active users these days – including a number of Adsense users (http://adsense.blogspot.com/2007/07/cant-log-in-using-firefox.html).

Remember to take advantage of the whitelisting functionality to allow blogoscoped ads :)

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In my notebook ABP allows ads only from Google. I think Adsense blocks aren't invasive or "noisy", so they can stay. Once in a thousand times, I found something interesting there and I click it.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

ABP + Element hiding helper, yet my subscription is blocking google experimental features too.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!