Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Let Google Know The Location of your Site

Bryce R [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, October 31, 2007
16 years ago2,623 views

http://blogpond.com.au/2007/10/31/attention-aussie-bloggers/

"It is now possible to easily geographically target your website (or subdomain) to a specific location (i.e. “pages from Australia“).

When logged into Webmaster tools, under “Tools” select “Set Geographic Target”:"

This is really good for those people who don't have a country specificdomain.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm worry about it. If I select "France", will my pages drop in the SERPs for non-French users?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Blimey, this tool is really buggy. I first saved my country on one of my sites. After that, the country dropdown wouldn't show on another site I was trying to geo-target. And then I got this error message when entering the City/Town:

<< All the characters in this field should be in upper case characters. >>

And the "Country/Region:" field was shown again as a disabled text field after the address.

I think they've got some bugs to fix. I seriously can't believe this was ever tested...

16 years ago #

Ah... it looks like the Country/Region dropdown is hidden and the additional Country/Region text field is disabled when trying to geo-target a .co.uk domain, so perhaps they won't let you change the target of a ccTLD.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's really bad having to tell *Google* all these things. They are not the only search engine around, so there should be an open format for any such things that rests on the server. This only helps their monopoly status.

16 years ago #

Well, Alexa already has an info.txt file which has all this information and more. Perhaps all the search engines should adopt that, especially since many will probably already have that information readily available.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!