Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Yahoo's Advance Searches that Google Can't Do

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 1, 2007
16 years ago10,650 views

http://www.labnol.org/internet/search/better-yahoo-search-features-not-in-google/1690/

1. Compose emails from the Yahoo! search box.

Type!mail abc[put at-character here]xyz.com in the Yahoo! search box and it will automatically compose a new email message for you in Yahoo! mail.

2. Get Lyrics of any song or your favorite artist.

Type madonna lyrics (for lyrics of Madonna songs) or madonna material girl lyrics (for lyrics of a particular song)

3. Specifiy the order of search keywords in queries

Say you want only web pages where word x comes before y but not vice versa, then just put the search query in Square Brackets. An example:

[Sylvester Stallone] – will only return web pages where the word Sylvester appear before Stallone.

4. Search your favorite websites from Yahoo! itself.

For instance, type!wiki google in Yahoo! search box to search Google in Wikipedia.com. Other popular shortcuts are!ebay,!amazon, and!flickr. You can also execute these from the Firefox search box without changing the default search engine.

5. linkdomain – An undocumented Yahoo Web search operator.

A quick question – Can you find the number of articles on Wikipedia website that link to CNN.com ? It’s almost impossible to get this data from Google but you can do so quite easily in Yahoo! with the incredibly useful linkdomain operator. The answer is:

linkdomain:cnn.com site:wikipedia.org

yahoo linkdomain search

Or take another example – How many stories on TechCrunch actually link to the PayPerPost, Arrington’s favorite topic. The answer here is:

site:techcrunch.com linkdomain:payperpost.com

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I would really like Google to have a shortcut system like yahoo too. It's very powerfull. I use it e.g. also on the mobile version to very quickly navigate to my favourite websites...

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I kinda like the shortcuts too for sites like Wikipedia and Flickr.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Maybe in the future we will be able to compose email through Google Notebook.

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

When searching for FORUM archives from Blogoscoped – it appears that Google is the one to AVOID.
MSN has more achives and Yahoo allows for more fine tuned, advanced searching:
site:blogoscoped.com/ linkdomain:blogoscoped.com

site:blogoscoped.com/forum/

Live.com / MSN.com
Web results 1-10 of 56,500

Yahoo.com
Results 1 – 100 of about 20,914

Google.com
Results 1 – 10 of about 5,430

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!