Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Facebook Music?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 1, 2007
16 years ago3,116 views

<<Facebook Music is Coming! (...)

Major and independent label artists and will register their sub-domain name through Facebook. Like “www.facebook.com/insertbandnamehere” for example.

On this page Facebook users will be allowed to become “fans” of the artist and connect to the media hosted on the “artist page.”

In the first generation of Facebook Music “fans” will be allowed to listen to artist’s music, watch videos, upload pictures, add music to their page, receive tour information and interact with other fans.>>
http://coedmagazine.com/entertainment/Music/3400

(I hope calling "www.facebook.com/insertbandnamehere" a subdomain does not represent the overall accuracy of the article...)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nice!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I hear about this. I wish google could get into the music world without having to deal with all the major record labels complaining about pirating

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I personally believe that if music is sold DRM-free and at lower prices more people will buy it as an alternative to piracy. Sadly the media companies (TV, Music, Movies etc) all seem to have the opposite opinion.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

There was an article abotu how the MPAA admitted that DRM wasn't about piracy, it was about stealing your rights and selling them back to you. i don't imagine it's much different for the RIAA

[put at-character here]Martin, what you believe is true, and has been shown several times

Maybe Google can make a difference and stand up to the RIAA

this are already changing anyways. NIN and Radiohead, who's next? The music industry is crumbling!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Maybe Google can make a difference and
> stand up to the RIAA

If I look at the mess they created with DRM'ed paid Google Videos, I'm not so sure they got the right spirit for that. Even Apple and Amazon seem to get it more. But perhaps Google learned a lesson?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

There is already an app named "iLike", it's pretty good, I hope they will interact with that new thing.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google aren't good at selling 'product', their philosophy would be to give it away free but somehow add AdSense to your movies / music and split the revenue with the studios. That's not always going to work...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"The music industry is crumbling! " ??

Actually tis not crumbling, they (the Industry) are seeking ways to ensure that the rights of thier artist's are in alignment with their fans needs /wishes..

whats crumbling is the the RIAA/DRM legalise.. a user will always find ways to circumnavigate whatever is placed as a hurdle maybe it be the law or technology ..

Ad for an FB music channel.. it will be good to see if there is any revenue impact.. that is if you listen to a song will they charge you 5 cents or is it really free ??

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]/pd i know. i was referring to the riaa and major labels when i said music industry :)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

At the moment, this will be in direct competition with MySpace. Since you're only supposed to register individuals on Facebook, this will change all that so that bands can have their own profiles (artist page) and friends (fans). Facebook won't be selling music in this first stage, so the whole DRM business isn't an issue right now, but hopefully they'll make the right decision when the time comes.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"Major and independent label artists..."

The best thing about MySpace music is that your band doesn't have to be signed to a label. Doesn't look like Facebook's considered that yet...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Reto, why do you say that Facebook hasn't considered that? I can't imagine that they haven't.

16 years ago #

bebo :rolleyes: stole this aswell already

16 years ago #

>> Doesn't look like Facebook's considered that yet...

Facebook also don't consider home schooled children, or countries where the school leaving age is different to the US.

16 years ago #

Yes but home schooled children are WEIRD!

Nah, just kiddin' but no one would use facebook if their friends weren't using it, so home schooled children aren't really a problem...Not that home schooled children don't have friend(jus shut up James)

16 years ago #

I'm not home schooled, but it does seem to be unfair. Having said that, the people I know who are all have the IQs which are far lower than that of a rat – so maybe it isn't a bad thing in some cases.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Facebook is opened up to the public a while ago

you don't need to be part of a network to create an account anymore

16 years ago #

You do if you are under 18.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

yeah because age requirements actually stop underaged people lol

Somebody [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I disagree, just because you are homeschooled does not mean that you dont have friends that are in highschool. Now homeschoolers are forced to put in fake ages.

16 years ago #

>> yeah because age requirements actually stop underaged people lol

Well yes, I lied about my age because despite many requests they failed to add my college (when they did I had to email them to change my age and add me to my school).

But non-technical people will get stumped by the signup process and give up.

>>just because you are homeschooled does not mean that you dont have friends that are in highschool.
That was my point really about it being unfair to home schooled people.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!