Google Blogoscoped

Forum

StumbleUpon Hijacking Google Screenspace?

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 7, 2007
16 years ago3,361 views

Latest update to the StumbleUpon toolbar puts a "See Friend Reviews" link in the "applications and sign-in" section of Google:

http://mrbene.net/images/stumbleuponandgoogle.png

It's the same style as the rest of the links – I wonder how long that'll last.

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Is that button on all sites, just in a different place?

If so, it could be a side effect of interactions between it's and Google's code to place it there.

If not, I don't think it should be there

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have been using stumbleupon quite a lot and they do have quite a lot of javascript injections into search engines, but I always click no, at the moment they ask you whether you want it.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

David – The difference here is that the 3.15 update puts the "Opt In" button (the "See Friend Reviews" button) in the Google source, instead of prompting with a one-off JavaScript pop-up. In other words, they are now always asking if you want it, until you accept that you do want it.

Voyagerfan5761 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

It shows up in Reader, which is really annoying, since there's pretty much no way StumbleUpon could insert reviews into results (and if it tried, I'd be mad).

Werty [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I just saw this tonight as well. StumbleUpon you are getting disabled from my plugins.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Looks like the version 3.16 provides a method to remove this functionality: "Adds an opt-out close box for the temporary links on search pages and Facebook."

http://www.stumbleupon.com/changelog.php

Still, a couple weeks without StumbleUpon, and I'm glad not to be using it anymore. I'm actually getting to sleep an hour earlier, and getting more done.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!