Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Cures for memory loss

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 8, 2007
16 years ago2,977 views

Hey, now that I no longer need to remember where I read something to find it again – now that I can search my emails in Gmail and docs in Docs and web history in Web History – I find I'm being frustrated by my inability to remember who told me something on the phone.

So, what I want to know is this. When Google does more voice communication, and when it gets round to a SkypeOut equivalent, and GrandCentral integration and all that jazz, will it promise to make voice calls searchable, as chat history is? Before the voice-to-speech thing gets really hot, it could begin with just letting you speak the word or name you remember hearing spoken, and then replay you the clip . . . Oh it would be nice.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have the same problem. I'm speaking to a co-worker or my boss, and I say – we had a conversation like this before what did we say then, or I'm positive he said one thing before and he clams he said another; my fingers start twitching like their on a keyboard until I realize I can't search voice conversations. The I get depressed. (Sorry for the drama – I just woke up – and am a little weary. [I dont even know what weary means]))

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<now that I can search my emails in Gmail and docs in Docs and web history in Web History>>

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If you don't remember the *exact* words from the documents, those search options are useless.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Well, I kind of agree with Matt Cutts on this. If you know that you've dug into a topic before, and know you found something useful, you're more likely to find the thing again by searching Web History – using vague terms that will have to appear on the page – than by trying to re-create the exact search term you initially or eventually used.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/other-handy-uses-for-web-history/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!