Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube now in German  (View post)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 8, 2007
16 years ago4,257 views

YouTube is now available in German. http://www.googlewatchblog.de/2007/11/08/youtube-in-deutschland-gestartet/

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

AL7AIR [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The "Promotete Videos" part just sounds strange, but "Benutzerdefinierten Player erstellen" is okay, Player is an accepted word in the German language, mostly because the translation "Videowiedergabegerät" is just way to long to fit onto a button or into a nice and tidy site layout :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I guess you could just say "Abspieler" instead of "player", but since the German language at large stopped looking for localized words of internet stuff (hence there is not much of a tradition for words like "Abspieler" or something), I guess the easiest thing is to just hop to the English version, and then at least get something that reads fluently....

AL7AIR [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

"I guess the easiest thing is to just hop to the English version, and then at least get something that reads fluently...."

Exactly! And I couldn't think of any page labeling their players "Abspieler" right now. I'm German and I honestly can't remember the last time I used "Abspieler" in a conversation, even "offline" we refer to it as player most of the time e.g. DVD Player not DVD Abspieler ... that just sounds weird.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> And I couldn't think of any page labeling their
> players "Abspieler" right now.

Oh, that's easy... just go to http://Sketchcast.com and switch to the German version, and read the homepage. Disclosure: it was me who translated sketchcast.com into German, so that example is biased :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!