Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Points in gmail adresses

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 15, 2007
12 years ago5,622 views

Dunno how well known this feature is: if you have abc[put at-character here]gmail.com, both a.bc[put at-character here]gmail.com or a.b.c[put at-character here]gmail will be sent to abc[put at-character here]gmail.com.

Found on makeuseof.com/tag/1-awesome-gm ...
   (The article states both the abc+def[put at-character here]gmail.com feature and this one.)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

Was popular on Digg 1 year 111 days ago.
digg.com/tech_news/Gmail_Add_a ...

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

12 years ago #

A doubt:
   Suppose that I have an email address blogoscoped[put at-character here]gmail.com.
   Is it possible for some one to regsiter blogoscoped.x[put at-character here]gmail.com ? I tried the signup form name availability and it shows as available!!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

you can registrer that, but you also get: b.l.o.g.o.s.c.o.p.e.d.x[put at-character here]gmail.com b.logogscopedx[put at-character here]gmail.xom.com blogoscopedx[put at-character here]gmail.com etc...

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

12 years ago #

Thanks James, then how I can expect that the above hack (David Mulder) would work correctly?
Confused.
Being the owner of blogoscoped[put at-character here]gmail.com, I might give blogoscoped.something[put at-character here]gmail.com to avoid , say SPAM, and who will get the mail? What happens if some else has already registered blogoscoped.something[put at-character here]gmail.com? Who will get the mail?
Hope my question is clear.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

mukthar: The span avoidance technique uses a '+' sign not a '.' symbol. So you'd use blogoscoped+something[put at-character here]gmail.com to avoid spam.

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

12 years ago #

Thanks Reto Meier.
May be I got it wrong then.
I thought I could append any string after my actual id after appending a '.'
Now I undersand that is not the case.

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

A side note, Live Hotmail treats blogoscoped[put at-character here]live.com and b.logoscoped[put at-character here]live.com as different addresses ... which is very confusing.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

Keith
Thats a normal way all the mail servers behave
any change in spelling will point to another mailbox

Here Google is doing things differently by ignoring dots

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!