Google Blogoscoped

Forum

DocSyncer (third-party gdrive-type tool)

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, December 13, 2007
16 years ago3,299 views

Has anyone else tried DocSyncer? It's a beta product that aims to synchronise documents on your hard drive (at the moment, under Windows, anything in My Documents or on the desktop) with Google Docs.

What it does is to upload everything once; the downloaded client then seems to monitor the files on your computer for changes; when one is made, it instantly uploads the changed file to Google Docs again. It seems to work!

It's the kind of thing Google must be working on. And, indeed, we may have to wait for Google to implement it before it's *really* useful. The problem with DocSyncer at the moment is that it can't *truly* sync Gdocs with docs on your hard drive: the changed file is uploaded to Gdocs as a new file rather than a version of the old one, so two separate files with the same name exist, with the potential for mistakes to be made.

That said, it could be invaluable as a no-hassle backup tool. (Until you run out of space on Google Docs.)

Give it a go if you haven't already: you need to sign up for an invite, but mine came in a day:

http://www.docsyncer.com/

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wanted to post about this, but it doesn't work. DocSync uploaded 20-30 files from My Documents and Desktop in 3-4 hours (sic!), but wasn't able to detect any change since that point. I created a document in Google Docs, but DocSync didn't download it on my computer.

Besides, no software can sync your local files with Google Docs because the API doesn't allow that. You can only upload new files, not edit or replace existing ones.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Indeed, Ionut, the lack of API prevents real syncing. But for me at least (so far – I've only used it this morning), it is successfully detecting changes on my hard drive and automatically re-uploading the changed files. But they aren't synced.

(Mine initially uploaded in five minutes, though the interface is pretty clunky.)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!