Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Mozilla Weave announced

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, December 23, 2007
16 years ago3,637 views

<< Weave, is a new project that will store user information – like bookmarks, passwords, history, preferences and customizations, and sync it to your Firefox account. Users can then access that information in the event of a hard drive failure, or if they are on a guest machine (say, at a cyber cafe). >>

News about it:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/12/22/mozilla-expands-its-universe-with-weave/

Mozilla Weave site:
http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/12/introducing-weave/

Looks like this will be competition to the Google Browser Sync extension. I would love if they had a way for all of your extensions to be saved remotely so that I don't have to install those on every machine that I use. They could just follow you to whatever machine you log into.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I.NEED.IT

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

<<I would love if they had a way for all of your extensions to be saved remotely so that I don't have to install those on every machine that I use. They could just follow you to whatever machine you log into.>>

Have you tried FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension)? I've used it a few times and found it pretty useful.

addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/2109

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Does this mean GBS will get an update soon?

(GBS = Google Browser Sync)

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Opera is working on this too: Opera Link.
This silent competition is nice, we can all benefit from progress and quick evolution :)
Hope Moore's law applies here too!

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google Browser Sync should get an update around the time of Firefox 3 release, I'm sure.

I stopped using it. It just slowed Firefox down. I only use it to transfer bookmarks and such from PC to PC when it's needed.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I bet Google will host the data for Mozilla. Firefox is not even able to host its start page at mozilla.org because of the traffic, so they use http://www.google.com/firefox/ .

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Bill Mac, The Firefox Environment Backup Extension is a step in the right direction but it would be great if I didn't have to take that backup file with me whenever I wanted to use my extensions on a different machine.

It would be pretty cool if some extensions were more like gadgets that followed me where ever I logged in from.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Storing all your passwords with a single (and not hidden from public) service? Sounds risky.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I like taking risks :P

sanderqd [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The user's stuff is currently not stored on a Google server, but on one at services.mozilla.com. It allows for use with another server though, so there is a chance that Google will also provide one when Weave is finished. The Google backend would be able to integrate with Google Web History for example.

Google Browser Sync hasn't been updated for a lot of time and Weave works better already, so I suppose GBS will be replaced somewhere in the future.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Weaves is working better than GBS

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!