Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Embed Google Presentations  (View post)

Don Danz [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, January 5, 2008
16 years ago6,311 views

I saw the four slide presentation, surfed away, came back and now I see in the same presentation window the Google sign in page for Google Docs with scroll bars, refreshing does not make it go away.

Don Danz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Closing the browser, IE, and restarting returned the four page presentation.

Don Danz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hmmm...can't seem to repeat the error.

Charlie Perry [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I can't get it to work on my wordpress blog. Despite this it's good that they've done it; it was about time.

Joe L. [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

"Consistency is good, though Google should watch to not start repeat some of YouTube’s low-usability quirks."
this can't be repeated enough.... Of all the properties Google owns/runs, youtube is probably the LAST one that all other interfaces need to converge to.

Shelli of MySaline.com [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Any ideas for resizing the Presentation? I tried changing the w & h numbers, but it just cropped. I need it little for my sidebar, yo!
shellirussell -yes, of shketches

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Why is there STILL no odp support? WTF Google?!?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They have a lot of things to do until they really support PPT. Why complicate with other formats?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Because it's open and should be really easy for Google to support. Google is supposed to love open source. they supported odt for text and ods for spreadsheets immediately.

16 years ago #

Just because it's open doesn't mean it's easy to implement or a priority. A better performance and export to PPT are probably much more important.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ya I now see the sign in page for Google Docs too. We have to sign in to see the presentation or something?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Logging in solves the problem.

Weird...

16 years ago #

I saw that in IE7.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Why did they choose the YouTube design?

<< Consistency is good >>

I don't see any consistency here. They should have stick with the design of Google Docs.
(See here : http://docs.google.com/TeamPresent?docid=ajfjf92tmnhd_633fzmg8bfr)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Maybe they have plans to monetize it like they do with YouTube? That would spoil it.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What do you mean exactly Roger?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

David, I mean that Google sometimes overlays YouTube videos with ads. Maybe they plan to do something similar with presentations. After all, a presentation is just like a video, except that the viewer controls the rate of display. Therefore, Google, may wish to make the user experience as similar as possible between videos and presentations.

A presentation with overlayed ads would be disrupting and pathetic. A much less intrusive solution would be to display the ad after the last slide of the presentation. Maybe Google has in mind something like that.

There must be some motive behind the introduction of embeddable presentations.

16 years ago #

<<There must be some motive behind the introduction of embeddable presentations.>>

I think it's an obvious feature. Since the document is online, why not embed it in a blog post or in other contexts? Google doesn't seem to have plans for monetizing Google Docs, so I don't think they'll add advertising very soon. The product is not that great and Google is smart enough not to add advertising next to a product that doesn't work very well.

Stephen Davies [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Feature request.

1. It would be nice to be able to turn off the MENU button, so only the embedded mini presentation works.

2. An adjustable size of the embedded mini presentation.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!