Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Minor Google Reader Mobile Update  (View post)

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, January 9, 2008
16 years ago5,719 views

I also asked a while back for them to put that same change into their iGoogle gadget in the window that pops up when you click on an item, because it would make sense to have it there (it appears in the gadget itself, but the popups frequently obscure the gadget)

bdam [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Which mobile device do you use Tony? I haven't seen any mobile devices good enough for google reader so far.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm using a Nokia N73 and its native web browser. It's not brilliant – especially when posts contain images – but it's definitely usable.

Samir [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm using a smartphone, and use the reader mobile most of the time... the "sort by older" is wanted here as well.

Nick [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I've been using the mobile version exclusively on my iPod touch, and while I have noticed the lack of author, the thing I most miss is the ability to see feeds I have already read. As far as I can tell there is no way to switch away from just new feeds...

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]bdam: " I haven't seen any mobile devices good enough for google reader so far."

Well, I stumbled upon one by accident, and am I glad I did – I now read practicallyeverything on a (since discontinued) Palm Lifedrive PDA [PalmOS 5.4.8] with the bundled Blazer browser over a home wireless network. No ergonomic complaints whatsoever – even though this browser does only proportional /no monospace/ fonts, in one of 4 weights and sizes. Took me a while to assemble a set of useful apps/extentions to alleviate browsing of the web, but that was fun in itself. Sadly, once it goes, I won't be repairing it, but probably acquire an iPod Touch w/ its mobile Safari browser in its stead.

Mike Blumenthal [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I, on the other hand, have found that Google Reader actually works well even on my decrepit Nokia 3650 with its b & w and wap browser.. It is the one web use that I consistently use and come back to.

Here is a roughly actual size screen shot: http://blumenthals.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/IMG_17071.jpg

Mike

Brianb [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hmm. Was the same update that removed the secondary nav bar that had the "Feeds" link (and ~2 others)? Using my iPhone (1.1.2 firmware) today, I missed that nav bar at the top of the page. Had to scroll – in some cases, w-a-a-a-a-a-y down, with long articles – to the bottom of the page to find the secondary "Feeds" link. As you can tell, that is my preferred primary access to RSS feeds, what with 90+ feeds.

Is this as designed, or is it a bug?

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Works great on my BlackBerry and from what I hear on iPhone too!

see:
http://www.google.com/mobile/

Vegetable [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

On the iPhone, Google Reader is absolutely great! I read it everywhere: subway, toilets, in my bed, ...
The only feature I would like to see on the mobile (iPhone) version is the ability to email someone a post, as on the standard web version.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> ability to email someone a post, as on the standard web version.

Remember that the mobile Google Reader has to run also on devices that may be unable to mail, though still capable of devouring items pulled out the net.orifice[tm]. Also, email functionality comes with its own can of interactive worms.... you need to add addresses to messages, thus be able to edit them, etc., complexity of the reader growing by a magnitude.

For that and other reasons I'd actually prefer that any mailing function be targeted to a predefined, in-advance entered, single address (entered via the desktop reader) or, if no address supplied, to one's default Gmail account – where further sorting/ filtering could take place.

Before that, however, I'd like a --far simpler to implement-- ability to edit, ie.add/ modify or substitute, the subject lines of the "starred" items. That and perhaps also a secondary function of "starring against" an item – bookmarking it with an added negative (or different from default star) mark.

John MacAdam [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

this is a good update but i still have one concern...

many times when i am reading a post the text overflows off the page

does anybody else have this problem?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!