Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Jagger Devalues Homepages?  (View post)

aaron [PersonRank 0]

Friday, October 28, 2005
18 years ago

Just wait, Jagger isn't over.

Dennis G. Jerz [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

A very thoughtful analysis of the Google and splog situation.

When I Google "Jerz blog" the site that comes up first is KairosNews. That's a group blog where I actually cross-post there from time to time, so if you see my content there it's because I think it's of special interest to the audience for KairosNews.

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You're at about 50th for [Google Blog], and about 40th for ["Google Blog"]. I'm a little surprised that you don't rank better than some of those above you, but most seem reasonable to me, and I didn't see any spam/splogs pushing you down. And about 70th for [Google], when half those above you are actual Google sites, still ain't bad ;)

I don't think my own site is directly relevant to your 'homepage' point, because it isn't a blog; doesn't repeat content (bar title and briefest snippets) on it's homepage; and is tiny by comparison.

But still, it tends to follow the same pattern as you observe: [google hijacked] only shows the sub-page, and [google cookie] only shows the homepage as the subordinate entry. Similarly, for non-Google stuff, [kazaa spyware] and [alexa] and [winclean] all show just the content page. (Though [kazaa spyware] also shows one of those cool mini-sitemaps, for no particular reason I can discern.)

Just [kazaa] omits mention of the homepage too, but that result is below the fold down at 12th. Though, despite being mercilessly scraped by splogs (including at least two which PubSub count as "Top 10 Sites"), I don't see any splogs above it, which is nice.

Whilst (as might be expected) both [milly] and [imilly] show the homepage (plus a subordinate content page).

But I don't do this exercise often enough to notice whether these results are unusual lately, or following the Gilligan and Jagger updates, sorry.

Btw, wouldn't it be cool if your site automatically converted [anything] between square brackets into a clickable Google search hyperlink (i.e. http://www.google.com/search?q=anything behind the word)? Of course that makes assumptions that such search terms are intended for a Google, .com, web, search (not a Yahoo, .de, News, search for example), but I think that must be a statistically reasonable assumption. Just a thought :)

Piotr Zgodzinski [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

I'm observing the same thing Philipp, some of the most significant phrases that my homepage ranked well (in the top ten) are now around 40-60 position. But the results keep changing every day, and sometimes they are back in the top ten for a while, only to be moved to 40-60 position the next day, again. So maybe it's more general thing, not only related specifically to your blog.

eeore [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Or maybe using google in your name is not the best thing to do.... for one thing it sails close to the wind on trademark law..... and it is hardly surprising that you are attracting a lot of spam.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Eeore, actually, this blog was first called "Googlosophy Blogoscoped", and then after reading the trademark pages of Google closely, I realized I have to change it to "Google Blogoscoped" (and of course, add the trademark notice in the footer). That's because while "Google Blogoscoped" is OK, "googlosophy" would have been a word-play they explicitly state they don't like in their policies.

JJ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The exact same thing happened to me this week. I dropped like anvil in page rank. My homepage is nonexistent in Google searches.

I posted about it today. I'm not sure what I need to do to resolve it. (Ranting Human recommended this post to me in my comments section.)

www.thechurning.com

Kylae [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Milly Milly Milly I need some help help help.....

can you or rather are you available for hire to look at my long standing site "A Click Away Remotes .Com" I wanted to email matt cutts because I am totally lost and in deep water with this update and need specific help. email me at the garage door site or call the 800 number...

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yay, google blogoscoped is now #4

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=google+blog&btnG=Search

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ah, things are back to normal... that's good.

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, sort of back to normal, I'd guess. Having a post talking about [Google Blog] on the home page is likely to have helped put the home page up the listings in a search on [Google Blog].

But using, say, [Google Blog -revver], which thus excludes the home page but not the archived post page, plummets the archived post page back down to about #50.

You won't again see if the home page ranks at about #4 for [Google Blog] *absent* that self-referential post, until it rolls off the page and out of Google's index. Presently, I think the home page contains [Google] 137 times and [blog] 45 times, of which that post comprises 22 and 18 respectively. And the proportion of the whole page's "Google blog" entries contained within that post is much higher (even including "Google blogs" and "Google Blogoscoped" in those strings).

So unless you want to edit the home page's version of that post (but not the archived page), to munge [google] and [blog], I guess you'll have to wait a while longer to see what Jagger has done ...

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Btw, a handy bookmarklet and/or user script for highlighting and counting words on a page :-

http://nontroppo.org/wiki/UltimateHighlightBookmarklet

"Main features

Automatically highlight keywords if page is selected from Google results;

Highlights "multiple keywords" in different colors on any page (even framed pages!);

Shows detailed search results in a floating box, where you can jump from one result to the next;

Remembers search queries with cookies;

Customizable with variables."

aaron wall [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The reasons some updates seem like they hit home pages the hardest is that most people use the home page to focus on the most competitive terms (either intentionally or by accident).

When algorithms change the more competitive a term is the more likely there will be greater mixing of results since more people are competing for them and the techniques many people use are exceptionally artificial and get discounted as the algorithms evolve.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!