Google Blogoscoped

Forum

"Google poisoner" - is this a first ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 31, 2008
16 years ago3,138 views

this is a first time that Google is being assoicated with "Abetting" crime ?

Google poisoner tried to murder husband

"The jury was told that Knight used the internet search engine Google to find a method of killing her husband,"

I wonder what google will do when the Judge passes a decesion in which the content clearly mentions "Google" as being the primary instrument/method of planning of a murder!!

Will Google now sue the Judge/Attorney for using the brandname Google in a=legal document without consent of their IP Department ??

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This isn't the first time something like this has come up in the news. I believe there was story back in 2006 about a man in Boston that used a search engine to find ways to kill his wife.

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

But if they are using it to refer specifically to Google, surely that is OK (Don't Google have guidelines to this effect)

Search Engine would probably have been sufficient in this case though.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

actually the point in making is the term "googled it"

WE have heard Google, Inc have gone after companies/research papers authors etc who use the word "googled it" stating tis 'actually "use of search engine google" is the correct way to represent the action.

So if a Judge now actually use "google it" in a final legal document, will google, inc now go after that judge to make changes to the legal document ?

ITs a very hypothetical question and I think worthy of discussion.. but it's a legal document wherein which "googleit" COULD be used!!

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google will not actually chase any use of the term 'Googled' (etc.), they had to make the point when it was included in dictionaries 18 months ago (or so) in order to protect the trademark but they won't go after actual uses as it actually is good PR (or at least, not bad PR).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!