Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Amazon Bullying Kindle Sites?  (View post)

WindowsObserver [PersonRank 0]

Friday, February 8, 2008
16 years ago4,713 views

My site at www.ilovemykindle.com – which I am buildiung as an enthusiast site has been targetted in the same manner. Just change the URL.

It seems I have no choice but to turn over the domain or face legal action.

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

16 years ago #

When did they talk about legal action? In my email they only said they would shut down my associate account, which they may not be able to do.

Ryan Ricketts [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm sorry, but I really agree with Amazon on this one.

the kindle blog [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

they shut down my associate account

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't agree with the practice, but it seems like they're obligated to do it, as with Google and their Adsense-related notices like Philipp linked. It's unfortunate because it certainly seems like everyone should be benefitting from such a thing.

And yet sites like appleinsider.com still exist and seem to be doing fine (I don't remember them having any issues with Apple over the name), so I wonder if these other companies are just going overkill on taking precautions.

Eugene Villar [PersonRank 5]

16 years ago #

I don't agree with this. It's true that companies are obligated to enforce their trademarks if they don't want it to become a generic brand, but they should only do so *against* trademark infringers, of which fan sites are often not. Just place a clearly visible notice on the site that says "Kindle Report is not affiliated with Amazon.com" and "Kindle is a registered (?) trademark of Amazon.com" or something like those. This makes it clear that no trademark infringement is meant (i.e., you're not aiming to capitalize on a trademark by confusing consumers) and Amazon would still not be remiss in enforcing their trademarks.

Trademark law is meant to protect consumers from brand confusion. It's not meant to give companies monopolies over the usage of logos or names.

Mr. Irony [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I totally understand Amazon's desire to protect their trademark, but...

Don't you think it's kind of funny that someone could go out and register a url that makes fun of the Kindle and, as long as you're not using your associate ID along the way, you're good to go? It looks like kindlesucks.com is already taken (probably owned by Amazon if they're smart!), but ones like thekindlesucks.com and plenty of others are wide open.

Why would Amazon want to alienate people who are trying to help them promote their new device while others are free to build negativity sites about it? Again, I understand the trademark issue, but as Eugene Villar noted above, why doesn't Amazon simply work with these other site owners and have them display some sort of disclaimer stating their independence from Amazon?

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Bah. I really dislike intellectual property and the wolves that come out.

Kindle is a plain English verb – it means to start a fire, to excite, and similar. As such it falls into the world of "Arbitrary" or "Suggestive" trademark, hence the fierce protection.

Ryan, care to elaborate on your agreement with Amazon? In my world, rolling over and playing dead any time a corporate entity grabs more property is the express route to having no rights at all.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!