Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google & Microsoft Bidding for Digg (Leaked)  (View post)

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

Friday, March 7, 2008
16 years ago5,755 views

Just Leaked to Mike Arrington of Techcruch.

The Comments are just as controversial as the rumor...
There are 4 companies bidding. Two of those are news organizations.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/03/07/google-microsoft-bidding-for-digg/

http://digg.com/tech_news/Google_Microsoft_Bidding_For_Digg

User-generated news site Digg has been working with influential investment bank Allen & Co. (the ones that recently got Slide a half billion dollar valuation) for a few months now, and pitching big tech and media companies on a sale.

And despite a number of false starts, this time a sale looks likely, and soon. We hear from a source very close to the deal that four companies are in heavy due diligence with Digg – two media/news companies, and two big Internet companies – Google and Microsoft. And Google and Microsoft are on the verge of making their bids.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I would love to hear what those anti-Google intelligence-challenged Diggers would have to say if Google were to buy Digg. Hopefully most of them would throw their toys out of the pram and stop using it altogether, making it a more useful site with less hate and arrogance in the comments...

I guess I can dream!

Above 2 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Voyagerfan5761 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tony: Laughing really hard right now... If Google does buy Digg, they'll add support for Google Accounts, right? I'll need to merge then...

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I see a bigger probability in Microsoft buying Digg.

Voyagerfan5761 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ramibotros: And I hope they don't. I would really like to ditch my Live ID as much as possible, except for Messenger (which I use through GTalk) and Hotmail (its own ID, annoyingly).

Jordan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I hope not. I respect Google more or less....acquiring a collection of infantile ramblings is not what I would consider an asset.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't find Digg interesting anymore and Google doesn't have too many reasons to buy it. Digg is not a great place to monetize, doesn't have interesting technology or a big community.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Same here, I also deserted Digg and now use Friendfeed/ Reddit...

Brock [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

This would be another example of Google buying a community of users, which they seem incapable of doing in house. Compare Google Video vs. YouTube, PicasaWeb vs. Flickr, Google Bookmarks vs. Delicious, etc. Google can't seem to make sites that create community.

Tony Lawrence [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I thought Google was smart.. guess not.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Is it Microsoft that keeps forceing them into "buying" users? Do they really need them? Why don't they finish working on shared stuff???

Karl Gechlik | AskTheAdmin.com [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I think Microsoft is going to go for it. They have been itching to buy some names... First Yahoo now Digg!

16 years ago #

Update: Digg denies the rumor of a bidding war between Google and Microsoft (http://blog.digg.com/?p=114). In their blog, Jay Adelson writes, “Sorry to burst any drama theories, but they aren’t true."

16 years ago #

(Edit: After re-reading the Digg post carefully after receiving a hint, I rephrased the update.)

Charles Peng [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

It's better that Digg is not a part of Microsoft.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ugh...I'd much rather see Microsoft and Google creating in-house products. Why would they invest in Digg users? Sure they are fiercely loyal, but how loyal would they be if a company as large as Microsoft or Google bought them?

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tony

It seems at least that some Digg users aren't entirely anti-Google, which is surprising given the way the Digg community has gone in recent months.

A comment by iainc (posted on 03/07/2008) has 423 diggs:
"Sell it, take the money – who wouldn't? But FFS don't sell it to Balmer! Please, please go with Google."

16 years ago #

> which is surprising given the way the Digg community
> has gone in recent months

Where did they go in recent months? (Didn't follow Digg recently...)

scjm [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I understand Google wanting to buy users, but Digg users are terrible. The extremely limited description and the fast paced nature of the site makes the whole experience just gross.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!