Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Build Custom Hardware Gadgets With BUG  (View post)

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, March 27, 2008
16 years ago3,675 views

Great device, hope it will become popular.

PS. Why did this item appear later in the feed yet was placed before the newest item (isn't the first time this happened)?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

(David I saw that happen in Friendfeed and was wondering too, is that what you're referring to?)

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wow! Really really, it looks like the future of legos. I imagine me playing with my grandson with things like these. Amazing!

Rumazx [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The downside I see is that the multiple modules remind me of the status quo where we have a seperate "module" for a phone, a camera, a GPS, an mp3 player, etc. (Of course, the Iphone is changing that by rolling all the above into one).

So that's my point. Why would I want a device with all these different modules, which will be cumbersome to carry around? Why not roll all of these gadgets/modules into one?

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://buglabs.net/products

An interesting work-bench platform promising shortened development times for one-off lab devices and custom proof-of-concept prototypes. To be really useful, however, all its individual modules ought to contain a "self-awareness/ self-diagnosis/ auto-configuration" mode triggered by any additions to the common bus – plug anything in, and it electro-reconfigures itself SANS CODING (perhaps it already does?).

Furthermore, it should display, and allow to manipulate its state (the device in toto as well as individual modules), in a highly graphical UI, with verbose programming reserved for low-level setup and enhancements only.

> [...] with BUG, you can easily assemble and program a GPS + digital
> camera device that automatically publishes geo-tagged photos as
> a web service. Integrating with an online photo-sharing service like
> Flickr is only a few more lines of code away, and now you have your
> own real-time, connected traffic-enabled mobile Webcam!

While it is understandable that its makers chose such a mundane, easily understood, app instance as this for an example, I rather doubt its usefulness. In these gadgety/ status-conscious times of ours nobody apart from geeks("true") would be caught ferrying around such a bulky device. Any product developed (and later multiplied) using this system would have to offer something quite extraordinary, something unique indeed, to offset its physical bulk, or footprint "untegration."

Still, it's not entirely without potential – I can barely wait for the promised "Teleport" (yes, no typo!) module, to be introduced Q2 2008, and described, if one could call it that, solely by this unenigmatic icon on the site:
http://buglabs.net/images/content/m_Teleport_32.jpg

If that's what I think it is, all I can say is "BRING IT ON."

(Speaking of which, is there a module in the making further down the road.... when are we going to see a truly workable, as opposed to current so-buggy-they're-unusable BugLabs' implementations of TTCP/IP aka Telepax?)

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Once I research source a mini computer. Can install Mp3, Mp4, Mobile, Ect. Only install one. Like game card insert into Game machine.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!