Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Merchant Search

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 30, 2008
16 years ago4,247 views

We noticed this in Google's robots.txt a while ago and now Search Engine Land shows more of this program. "What's Google Merchant Search? After a little poking around, it appears to be a new but unannounced program in beta where people can [compare] shop services like loans," Barry Schwartz writes.

▬► http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/help/merchantsearchbeta/compare.html
More screenshots: http://searchengineland.com/080530-100945.php

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hmm. That's pretty interesting. The more time I spend in retail/consumer services, the more I learn what a complex environment it is. Amazon is able to send you books, shoes and other small things fairly efficiently but when you zoom out it's a pretty big puzzle. I certainly believe that there's a lot of great opportunities but they get infinitely niche very quickly and I feel like Google should continue to move slowly in this area.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't know about worldwide, but in the UK comparison websites are HUGE!* I assume they make a lot of money out of it as they are constantly advertising on the TV, Radio, Newspapers and basicly everywhere else.

*Previously I'd assumed it was an American idea, but as it only seems to be on Google UK, maybe it was us :-)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Is there a live search page for this service? I wouldn't think they would push the help pages out before the actual service opened up.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Confuse the market .com :-)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<I don't know about worldwide, but in the UK comparison websites are HUGE!* I assume they make a lot of money out of it as they are constantly advertising on the TV, Radio, Newspapers and basicly everywhere else.>>

It is big business, however, believe it or not, some of the biggest are owned by insurance companies, for example Confused is owned by Admiral (who own Bell, Diamond and elephant).

If Google were to enter this business, they face a lot of competition from people with a lot of money. But then again, Google competes with Microsoft, so maybe it won't be much of a challenge.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Suggestion: Google Comparison Site Comparer? :-P

[put at-character here] Martin
That's quite interesting. I haven't actually used/looked into any comparison sites, and didn't know that.

Jowan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

totally-friggin-confused.com by Googles decision to directly compete with their partners. As MRRIX32 says in the UK these companies are their biggest advertisers.

P Silv [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Anyone know how Google are monetising this?
This is going to screw with the likes of MS, BTQ etc surely?

With ads looking like that – they are going to be getting all the clicks in this market (ok maybe not all, but most) which will be to the detriment of everyone elses Quality score etc

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

From the FAQ: "Participating providers pay Google when someone requests a quote through this system."

On privacy: "A Google operator will call you at the appointed time, then connect you with the provider. Because we do not share your contact information with the provider, they won't be able to contact you again about your request unless you decide to give then your contact details."

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!