Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Matt Cutts, Google's Gadgets Guy  (View post)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 17, 2005
18 years ago

Just a small note; after asking Matt for the interview, he told me I would have to wait some days because he was already interviewed by someone. It's a small world, because some days later, Aaron Wall and I chatted, and he mentioned to me he just interviewed Matt Cutts! On a side-note, I couldn't link to Aaron's interview so far even though otherwise I would have, simply because I don't link to things I didn't read, and I didn't want to read his interview *before* I made mine – to prevent me sub-consciously copying questions or focus. Anyway, here's Aarons link, it's a great interview with a lot of great questions and a focus on search engine marketing!
http://www.search-marketing.info/newsletter/articles/matt-cutts.htm

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I am so impressed with the large ammount of thought that goes into everything single one of your blog posts. It really is amazing and I'm sure people will really realize it more in your book.

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

A very informative and entertaining interview.

Daniel Brandt [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

As requested, I changed "has a top-secret clearance" to "had a top-secret clearance." Always happy to change one letter to make something more accurate.

I also made a new cartoon yesterday. I hope Matt likes it:
http://www.google-watch.org/gifs/war8.gif

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Wow!! excellent interview. Brilliant questions asked and very straight-forward answers given back.

Thats one of the brilliant things about Matt Cutts...he talks from the heart...doesn't look at the fact that he works for Google so he has to bring down Yahoo or Microsoft. Very balanced perspective.

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nice work, Philipp, thanks.

Here's a couple of recent interesting reports about Matt (which I expect you'll have seen, but not everyone here might have) :-

"Coffee Talk with Senior Google Engineer : Matt Cutts" http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/002809.html

"Google Knows Link Networks Well" http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/002818.html

Oh, and Daniel – you missed one :-

http://www.google-watch.org/cgi-bin/cookie.htm

If you have trouble finding them, try this ;-O :-

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:google-watch.org+cutts

Of course all four references, in context, remain misleading (i.e. you are deliberately or knowingly misleading your readers) but that's a matter between you and your own 'intellectual dishonesty' meter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_dishonesty

Daniel Brandt [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Thanks, Milly. I just fixed that one.

The world is full of horrible people. David A. Vise, the Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter for the Washington Post, starts off the Matt Cutts chapter in his new book, "The Google Story," by mentioning the National Security Agency.

I'm going to tell Mr. Vise that he's intellectually dishonest and that he should save himself as soon as possible by reading all about intellectual dishonesty at Wikipedia.

It will make the world a better place, I'm sure....

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

More of the same, Daniel? Of course you know that your site does more than merely mention the NSA vis-a-vis Matt, yet you say here only that Vise mentions them: the tacit implication being that you and (Pulitzer Prize-winning) Vise draw similar inferences.

But is that actually the case? Or is it perhaps an 'intellectually dishonest' fig leaf? I don't know (hey, "The Google Story" hasn't even hit Google Book Search yet ;). How about quoting the part to which you refer (with reasonable context) here, so that we can all see, and draw our own conclusions?

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've been reading Matt Cutts' blog since it was released and have been really enjoying it. This was a great interview... good questions and informative, interesting answers. Thanks!

Search Engines Web [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

His Blog is So-o-o helpful :-)

It is interesting that in a few short months he has managed to correct much SEO misinformation widely publicized.

His Blog Topics are clear and efficient.

Fortunately, he allows disagreements to his perspectives to be posted.

as many can see.... there have been ongoing debates about the lack of empathy Google Search Qualilty team and Engineers have towards small sites who much resort to controversial strategies to advance in the SERPs.

There seems to be a Black and White attitude about certain "SPAM" strategies, and lack of understanding about the concerns that people have that force them to explore these tactics.

It is good that there is someone in power that these concerns can be expressed to directly, and who is receptive.

Perhaps oneday there will be a GOOGLE FORUM!

Andi [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Matt said:
>>>I wish I had more time to answer every single question, but I have to eke out posts at night and in my spare time already.

That this function is not underwritten by Google is an atrocity upon small business and the only thing about Google that deeply disappoints me.

But then anyone who reads Matt's comments already knows how I feel about this.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Andi, if it was "underwritten," you would get stuffed-generalized-approved-for-a-wide-audience answers that are quite frankly unhelpful and boring to read. It's a blessing that Google's employees are so enthusiastic about their company (e.g., Matt and GoogleGuy) that they are willing to spend their spare time discussing it and being helpful. It's an even bigger boon that Google lets them.

Andi [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Brian Mingus wrote:
>>>Andi, if it was "underwritten," you would get stuffed-generalized-approved-for-a-wide-audience answers that are quite frankly unhelpful and boring to read.

This is a good reason to be disappointed and even alarmed--that Google is so capable of shooting itself in the foot with ecommerce. If what you say is true then Google isn't as bright a company as we all hoped.

Alienating small business is not good long-term, this will erode an important base of support. In my short time as vocal critic I have heard from quite a few people who are very angry and would like to 'get even' but are discreet out of fear for their SERPS. Google is unwise to ignore these people.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my earlier post, thanks Philipp for this excellent interview and blog.

ron liar [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

God, I wished I understood this. It sounds like it should be really interesting.

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp,

GREAT interview ... Matt's blog is darn interesting stuff and I'd suggest a major reason for Google's success is they have people like him. Didn't he say somewhere his employee ID is less than 100? If so, he could certainly retire ... but the fact that he continues to work (and enjoy it) speaks volumes.

How 'bout seeing if Jeremy from Yahoo will chit-chat with you for your next interview?

alek

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Alek, great idea. I'll see about that.

Aaron Pratt [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Thanks for clearing up the DOD thing with that great question Phil, will have to go edit my blog, I would suggest others do the same. ;-)

Dan Tobias [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

If "saving precious bytes" is their concern which causes them to use non-validating HTML code, then why do they use the needless meta tag with http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8", when this information is more properly (and efficiently) placed in the actual HTTP headers themselves?

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Good question, Dan. I'll ask around about this. Maybe some weird browser somewhere doesn't handle the HTTP header correctly? Google gets a lot of weirdo/ancient/fringe browsers.

Daniel, thanks for changing all the claims of a security clearance to be in the past tense.

Betty Cutts [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I found your great interview by Googling Matt's name. I want to read more interviews of this nature. Matt was always a great kid and worked very hard on everything he ever tried. In sixth grade he was called out of classes to help give tech support for his middle school computer. I see he is still answering computer questions and helping people. I am his proud mom.

Anonymous SEO [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Another great interview Matt. I really enjoy your blog and your interesting ideas.

And to Daniel Brandt. You may think that everyone is stupid but if you expect me to believe any of the crap on your site you will have to brainwash me. Oh and I think this pretty much sums up why you made the site. You couldn't get your site ranked high in Google. Booh hooooohh

www.google-watch-watch.org/

[Personal attacked removed. -Ed.]

I know it is a 6 month old interview and probably nobody cares but thought I would clear that up anyways

Dr. LeRoy A. Stone [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

For those interested in security clearance obtaining, the following information may be of some value. There has been developed a psychological type 'test' that very accurately predicts success/failure to be eventually granted high-level security clearance status for persons who are being (or plan to be) processed/adjudicated by the federal government regarding potential granting of such status. The Personnel Security Standards Psychological Questionnaire (PSSPQ)was developed by a very senior psychologist while he was the Chief Research Psychologist in the USA's then largest intelligence agency. Information regarding the PSSPQ and how to make arrangements to 'take' it can be found at:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~lastone2/psspq.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!