Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Site Traffic Trends  (View post)

Anon [PersonRank 7]

Saturday, June 21, 2008
16 years ago8,605 views

It seems that Google itself has opted-out, since no data is available for Google sites.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Anon
I'm seeing results :-/
http://www.google.co.uk/trends?q=mail.google.com%2C+googlepages.com%2C+docs.google.com%2C+earth.google.com%2C+maps.google.com&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Anon [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

They changed it. Nice :)

Anon [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Sorry, no they did not:

http://trends.google.com/websites?q=blogger.com

Your link points to the keyword trends. They blocked the website trends.

Douglas Karr [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

They also blocked Blogger.com and YouTube.com while fully displaying competing sites like Metacafe and Wordpress. Sounds evil to me.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Here's a dramatic chart for a site that got dropped from Google's index from December until a week or so ago. The site was still getting some traffic from other search engines, but that is not reflected in the chart:

http://trends.google.com/websites?q=archaeolink.com&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Is the "Export this page as a CSV file" option new? I don't think I've seen this before

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I asked Google why they don't show some of their own sites on Google Websites Trends. Here's their reply:

"We do not show Google properties on Trends for Websites. We have policy of not providing interim financial guidance, and have decided not to release Google numbers in accordance with that policy."

alek [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

First, pretty darn cool ... better yet would be if they allowed sub-domains – i.e. search.yahoo.com.

But ditto other comments that disappointing that Google doesn't show results for their own domains ... especially since their documentation says there currently isn't a way for webmasters to opt-out ... but they did for themselves! :-(

Steve Johnston [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Don't forget Google can supplement its tools data by tracking clicks made from it search results pages, which it does. Google UK is 7% of all UK internet traffic, so its click-through data is going to be very compelling and representative. Even though it doesn't track a visitor once he last left Google.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

True, but that's just the search engine traffic, which may be a large portion for some sites and a smaller portion for others, depending on the site...

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My site doesn't even register in Site Traffic Trends. I guess I don't get enough visitors as the site is a family genealogy site.

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

"We do not show Google properties on Trends for Websites. We have policy of not providing interim financial guidance, and have decided not to release Google numbers in accordance with that policy."

If showing such Trends has some influence in the financial sector, how legal/ethical is it to show the data for direct competitors, couldn't this affect the stock market?

http://trends.google.com/websites?q=yahoo.com%2C+live.com&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

btw. the graph for this two search engines looks similar regarding the trend, is this coincidence or could it have to do with some google internals like not all data available at any given time?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< If showing such Trends has some influence in the financial sector, how legal/ethical is it to show the data for direct competitors, couldn't this affect the stock market? >>

Google's explanation doesn't make sense, but they probably wanted to make sure that people don't assume that the data for Google's properties is official and accurate.

Rose Vose [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Stock Charts do not load in Google Stock Quote – only a blank space appears where the Stock Chart should appear.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!