Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How Google Looks for the Colorblind  (View post)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 25, 2008
15 years ago10,640 views

[Edit: Title change some seconds into the publishing, after Tony checked my title's English.]

Markus [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I am partial red/green color blind and must say that I did not notice the difference until I opened google.com to compare it.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Wow, Very interesting.

Kris Hoet [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I'm red color blind and honestly see no difference between this and the Google logo on google.com

Barry Hunter [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Same as what Markus said :)

It doesn't jump out, but you can see the difference if look closely.

Andi [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Me too I am partially red green color blind. It would very much help if the site creators would think of this when designing their content. At least the companies that provide services to millions of users. Sometimes it is hard to fill in captchas or even find links on the page due to this.

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

May I suggest that the title still doesn't sound right in English. It sounds like "How Google Finds the Colorblind People". The correct way should sound like this, "How the Colorblind See Google".

Example:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9507E5DC1330E433A25756C0A9679D94629FD7CF
http://startreadinghere.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-colorblind-see-world.html

15 years ago #

lol @ drtimofey

i think you are the only person to think that way

15 years ago #

That's crazy, if you think about it. All of those people are not enjoying the full splendor of beauty in design.

15 years ago #

Oh, you can also say "How Google Looks to the Colorblind", with a "to":)

chris [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Yep. I'm red/green colorblind. Looks very similar to the original google logo.

15 years ago #

It really sucks for them, is there a cure?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]drtimofey wrote: "All of those people are not enjoying the full splendor of beauty in design"

Well I guess neither are you enjoying the fullest splendour, drtimofey, unless you are one of those rare females who are tetrachromic. That is, they have four kinds of colour sensors in their eyes (as opposed to the three that most people have, and the two that occur in the most common form of colour-blindness).

Tetrachromacy can be looked up on this page:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/profirst/t.htm

15 years ago #

Also to everyone:

Does this version look like the google logo but the red and green letters look yellow with varying amounts of dirt on them?

15 years ago #

Here's a very readable article about women with four-colour vision:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721190-114.stm

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> May I suggest that the title still doesn't sound right in English.
> It sounds like "How Google Finds the Colorblind People". The
> correct way should sound like this, "How the Colorblind See
> Google".

There are many ways to say this. It's not wrong, per se, but I agree it could have probably been better with more time. The current title is better than the original, that's for sure... ;-) I guess when I suggested this title to Philipp, my thought process was – based on the original title – using the word "look" as in "How do I look?" > How does Google look? > But how does Google look for the colorblind? > How Google Looks for the Colorblind

> you can also say "How Google Looks to the Colorblind"

That was actually another of my suggestions for the title.

Andy Baio [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

Looks completely normal to me. I'm red-green colorblind, just like my mom. Fortunately, my son was spared the mutated gene.

Bob [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]James, I would probably describe them as a dark khaki/olive color.

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger Browne
>Well I guess neither are you enjoying the fullest splendour, drtimofey,
>unless you are one of those rare females who are tetrachromic. That is,
>they have four kinds of colour sensors in their eyes (as opposed to the
>three that most people have, and the two that occur in the most common
>form of colour-blindness).

Wow. So there is such a thing as a "good disorder" :)

Rich [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

"Look for" is searching, "look to" is appearance.

Q. How does Google look for people with poor grammar? A. It doesn't use poor grammar to look for people.

Q. How does Google look *to* people with poor grammar? A. I wouldn't know, you'll have to ask the author of the blog :-P

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm not color blind but I would have never noticed the difference in colors. The Google font-style is unique and it speaks for itself – thats all i needed to recognize the brand.

15 years ago #

[put at-character here] Josue R.
You might want to check on your vision, the difference is quite vivid.

Matt [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Wow, that looks exactly the same to me. :/
To all the non-colorblind: how exactly does the logo in this post differ from the normal Google logo?

Bob [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

The first "o", the "l" and "e" are sort of olive colored instead of red,green,red.

15 years ago #

[put at-character here] Bob
How does olive look like? lol;)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Thanks to everyone's title notes (I'd edit the title now but it might only add confusion). Tony gave a couple of suggestions to pick from for the title but he made all of them within seconds based on my original title, because I had already posted this... and as he said one of his suggestions was "How Google Looks to the Colorblind". Perhaps it was my German grammar which made me pick "for" because this is what we sometimes use in German:
"Für einen Farbenblinden wäre dies grün."
meaning
"To a colorblind this would appear as green."
But if you check the German, you'll see the word "für" which directly translates to "for" :)

Interesting to hear about tetrachromacy.

notbeinguseful [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

FWIW, I think it might be worth noting that everybody commenting on this thread probably has different gamma/temperature settings on their monitors.

I quickly toggled between modes on my display (DLP TV), and the differences between the "colorblind" version and the regular Google logos are less pronounced in certain modes.

What would be interesting is for those who do have red/green colorblindness to crank up the contrast and shift hues when comparing the two logos. I think you will be able to verify that the two logos are indeed different this way.

Lockwood [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I'm with the other self-identified R/G color "challenged" folks here. I don't see any difference between the post logo and the standard. I've learned that if I take pics into photoshop (or similar) that the numerical readout of the color at the cursor's active spot can be useful in "intellectually" seeing color differences others don't. As far as the logo goes, it makes no difference to me- I see the colors I see, and I see "Google" often enough that a logo with similar shapes but the standard color pattern (e.g. Qecjio) would immediately trigger a "why, they're just ripping off Google" response. I have a very different reaction when, to use a computer application or function, I must be able to distinguish colors that I am unable to. There are a few games that drive me crazy, because certain players are indistinguishable to me.

R/G colorblindness is sex-linked, on the X (female) chromosome. Because of this, males with a "defective" X can't make up for it with a "good" Y. Females with a "defective" X can make up for it with a "good" X. The incidence of some degree of R/G colorblindness is about 1 in 10 for males, but only about 1 in 100 for females. Again, it makes no big difference to me unless it makes it difficult or impossible for me to do something. But I do wish more software developers would think about that figure: 11 in a hundred people have some degree of difficulty distinguishing R/G.

Which leads to another fun point: People frequently ask if I just see R/G as gray. To which I answer that they're definitely colored, I just can't tell them apart. I'll use the color filter to help clarify that in the future- thanks for the link!

15 years ago #

I agree with Lockwood, it would be nice to see software engineers to make colorblind friendly versions of applications.

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

I can't see any difference between this and the original.

I wonder if there is a way to tweak a Google logo such that colorblind people like me can see "How Google looks for the non colorblind"...

Dave Shaw [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Wow I'm red/green colourblind and I've never thought about how it might affect how I see the Google logo. I agree with Fabio...I really want to know what the Google logo SHOULD look like.

15 years ago #

Although there's no way to show colorblind people how the Google logo looks to others, others should remember that this simulation of Google's logo only tells part of the story.

Because colorblind people have fewer kinds of color sensors in their eyes, the sensors for each color are spaced closer as a result. Therefore, colorblind people can see subtle variations in outline and shading that are not visible to the rest of us.

About 5% of males are colorblind, and it assumed that colorblindness has not been selected against by evolutionary pressure because it has advantages in some situations. It is speculated that a tribal hunting party, for example, would benefit from having one colorblind person amongst its number, who might sometimes spot something in the bushes that was not visible to the rest of the party.

Adam [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I'm colorblind as well, and like the others I can see a slight difference in the logos when comparing them side-by-side but would have never noticed if not prompted.

David [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I see normally and the difference is striking, impossible to miss. I never thought about this before. The world must look really strange if red and green both look like olive to you. Olive is a dull color, and red and green are both very different and bright, not even close to olive.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!