Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Chrome using IE settings tab for proxy setting

thampan [PersonRank 1]

Friday, September 5, 2008
15 years ago30,036 views

Why does Chrome use the IE settings for connection ?

I have FF as my default browser and had switched off proxy in IE and FF but not in chrome. I switched on the proxy in my FF but not in IE. (and did not change chrome settings at all) When i started chrome, it was not connecting. Found out the settings for connection and lo the IE connection settings pop out of chrome.

So why is chrome riding on top of IE setting ?

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Because it is easier, that way the connection will work for non-technical people? Keeping it simple.

The proxy settings in ie are sort-of the settings for the operating system....

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

thampan, I believe these settings are on the operating system level, not specifically for IE. Firefox & Opera use separate ones.

thampan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

it is an IE settings windows. not a windows setting windows
there are other tabs along with which has IE home page. content, connections, advanced settings and a whole lot of other stuff .. basically you could change IE properties after clicking on a button from chrome.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]thampan
The main way to modify the proxy settings for Windows is by using Internet Explorer's settings window.

Rudolph [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]thampan

You can provide an own proxy server for Google Chrome using the command line argument "--proxy-server=PROXYSERVER:PORT"

So Chrome will not more depend on IE proxy settings.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

If you go to the control panel in Windows, there is an internet connections icon that loads default windows internet settings. This is the exact same settings page you would see inside Internet Explorer when you view the settings of that app. This is because the browser is part of the OS.

Garin Gottik [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Google should give people a choice with the OS setting being the default.

Kaushal Shah [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I agree. There should be an option of separate settings for Chrome. Its much easier to use browser that way.

thampan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

be it part of the os or not, you can change most of the IE settings from the chrome settings page (which launches the ie settings). I am sure that there would be many end users who would get confused by this approach. Or is chrome using all IE settings ? what would they do when they have chrome on the mac/linux machines ?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!