Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Chrome steals share from every rival but Safari

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, September 17, 2008
15 years ago2,510 views

"Two weeks after the launch of Chrome, Google Inc.'s browser has stolen market share from every competitor except Apple Inc.'s Safari, an Internet measurement company said Tuesday.

At the end of its second week, Chrome accounted for 0.85% of the browsers that visited the 40,000 sites monitored by Net Applications Inc., an increase from the 0.67% of the week before.
...."

Link:
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=11387

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I would guess that's because not many people use Safari on a PC and you can't use Chrome on a Mac yet.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'd start drawing conclusions in a month or two because a lot of people try Chrome to see if it's really that good and then go back to their previous browser. There's no Chrome for Mac, so Safari users can't try Chrome.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It would be interesting to see studies about the fact is Safari the default browser of new Mac users, however. I don't know any people using Safari as default browser :)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I would run Chrome as my default browser if it ran natively on Linux. I like it's speed, the interface, and features like safe browsing. The one thing i don't really like is the theme and the colors. If firefox or any other free software browser can match Chrome, i'd switch again.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Some sample Chrome shares, measured from September 7 until now:

GamesfortheBrain.com: 0.81%
CoverBrowser.com: 1.43%
Authorama.com: 0.87%

Sites which may not be representative for this purpose:
GoogleModules.com: 4.69%
Blogoscoped.com: 5.92% :)

(But there was a bit of an unusual peak two days ago, so measuring Sept-. 7 – 13, Blogoscoped.com has 10.84% Chrome.)

These stats look like a high start but how will this number increase now that Google doesn't link to Chrome from most of their homepages anymore?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I use Firefox on my Mac mainly because of the extensions I can add to the browser. I would love to try Chrome once its released as a native app whenever that happens....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!