Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Windows commercials

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Friday, September 19, 2008
15 years ago11,736 views

After the Seinfeld ads*, now come the "I'm a PC" ads, countering the campaign by Apple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrmF-mPLybw

*The previous Seinfeld commercial #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNOohFst9Lc

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Better start than those Seinfeld ones. Those made no sense to anyone that watched them.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm a PC, who runs Linux
I'm a PC *flips board* Who Runs Vista *flips board* And I'm kinda screwed
:-)

And isn't saying "I challenge the law" encouraging piracy?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> And isn't saying "I challenge the law" encouraging piracy?

Bill Gates, rich dude, refusing to pay for his pizza (in Seinfeld #2) came across as very arrogant, and shutting the door in the delivery boy's face came across as very anti-social.

Anyway, someone on SlashDot said it best: something like "These ads humanise Microsoft by showing that even a giant MegaCorp can be taken for a ride by an advertising agency."

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

As someone in the MacRumors forums said: Isn't this just reinforcing what the mac ads say? That Windows=Generic?

I prefer these ads but, as usual, no mention of any product features, like the Mac v PC ads (which I think are sometimes a little cruel and biased).

All these ads are doing is admitting that Microsoft got damaged by apple's ad campaign, and although it may not have made people switch to mac, it certainly lowered peoples faith in Vista and Microsoft.

These ads are not what Microsoft needs.

15 years ago #

Here is an XP ad, which, while being weird, shows some of XP's features http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3GPrA-mtSs

And does anyone remember Longhorn from 2003? What Vista should have been (no matter how much ram you would need :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y

That would have stopped me going to mac

15 years ago #

> As someone in the MacRumors forums said:
> Isn't this just reinforcing what the mac ads say?
> That Windows=Generic?

If that's the case, isn't that exactly what Microsoft would want? An OS for everybody is bought by everybody. An elite OS is only bought by a small percentage of people.

15 years ago #

I suppose, but wouldn't one prefer an elite OS and not one that everyday people who don't know much about computers use? (just my interpretation of the ads)

Maybe i'm reading into it too much, and since I hag around the mac side of the internet community I haven't heard an analysis in favour of the ads, so I am biased, can you maybe give me an analysis in our view Philipp?

15 years ago #

> I suppose, but wouldn't one prefer an elite OS and
> not one that everyday people who don't know
> much about computers use?

Not necessarily I think, because some people may find the idea of an elite OS intimidating. "I'm just a normal user, I want a normal OS for normal people"... or something along the lines...

15 years ago #

Hmmm, i see where you're coming from, and I agree with you.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think the problem with generic advertising is you don't always get the customer to think about your product in the way that generates more revenue. Every "Get a Mac" ad ends with a picture of an iMac. It's a product that people can relate to if they actually see it in a store. It's one of those "I remember the commercial for that" type of scenario's. Microsoft has had some horrible commercials in the past. Not even talking about the latest Seinfeld ones or the I'm a PC ones. Look at the Windows XP one that James posted above. Flying people in an ad for a new OS. HUH?? Is that supposed to wow me into buying the OS. I really like ad's that show you what the product does. Granted part of the XP ad above does that but then they lose me with the flying people. Get me excited about the ACTUAL product and maybe I'll buy it if it's something I want or think I need.

I don't mind watching commercials if they are good or interesting. Heck I've watched more Super Bowls just for that reason alone.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

My favorite line is "I'm a PC and a human being. Not a human doing, not a human thinking, a human being." Well that's great if you sell fish and all, I guess???

:)

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'd like to see apple pull this out and use it in an ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvskEGWMLp4&feature=related

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'd like to point out that, in some way, Microsoft is succeeding in their campaign. They may not be convincing you to buy Windows, but they're raising awareness of the product and drawing attention to it.

Every time a new ad appears, the internet lights up with blog posts, videos, comments, forum topics etc about the video. It gets uploaded to YouTube and everyone watches the video and then spreads it to everyone they know, and post it on their blog. Which in turn, causes more people to watch it. Along the way, many people who are neutral on these matters will watch the video, and may be swayed. You have, a viral effect.

I think the ads are rather good personally. I can't really see a single product that they're advertising, however the attention created around the ads certainly fills the lack of product placement.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!