Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Toolbar 5 for Firefox  (View post)

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

Friday, September 26, 2008
15 years ago5,773 views

Here it is!
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/FT5/intl/en/

http://youtube.com/?v=FpLkOiAT4uo

MZaza [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Finally!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Yeah, seriously-- what took them so long?

Above 3 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

15 years ago #

Also: I got it to work on my Apple laptop, but whenever I tried to download it to my Linux machine it would quietly substitute the version I already have. I couldn't find anything on the site that said it wouldn't work for Linux, but, for me, it doesn't (or at least I haven't figured out how to make it do so).

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]macbeach:
Assuming you have Ubuntu or a similar distribution, type this in a terminal:
sudo apt-get install libxul-dev libstdc++5 gcc-4.1 libstdc++6

You may need to uninstall/reinstall the toolbar.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I use Ubuntu and it worked fine. Maybe because i'm using Intrepid? I still don't see why it wouldn't work by default with Hardy or why you'd need to install anything to get it to work

MZaza [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It worked with me on Ubuntu 8.04 without installing anything.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm wondering how many people using the google toolbar are using more than 1 functionnality (= more than search text input). And so how many people install the googlebar in Firefox while you already have a input for google search...

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I dont even use this; FF comes with the search bar, and the GUtil extension dropdown has links to everything else. One less toolbar = more space.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I actually don't find a huge need for the toolbar either. The one thing that it does which i really appreciate is opening email links with gmail. This can be done without it, but it makes it much easier to do so. Either way, i don't see why the firefox toolbar was always so far behind the IE one.

Tomi Häsä [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Google seems to be skipping version 4 (Google Toolbar 4 for Firefox) as the current version is 3 (Google Toolbar 3 for Firefox), right?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Completely uninstalled the toolbar 5 now... there were odd "blank title tip traces" appearing when loading new pages. It's a bit hard to describe – little black-border-yellow-background rectangles appearing near the mouse when clicking a link and the new page is loading, rectangles which would be left on the page for a bit – and I don't know if it was indeed the Toolbar's doing, but the problem disappeared after uninstalling the toolbar.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

As I use Mozilla Ubiquity, I use the G Toolbar less and less... But I keep it as I haven't optimize my commands and don't know them all.

Do you use Ubiquity? Does it replace your Google Toolbar? Do you think Google has some plans to make the Chrome's Omnibar an Ubiquity-like feature?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!