Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail attachments "zipped for English"?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, October 8, 2008
15 years ago11,649 views

Does anyone know the meaning of this dialog? I see it at the bottom of an email with attachments. I can pick from several languages, like Japanese, Thai and more...

http://blogoscoped.com/files/gmail-zipped-for-english.png

It reads: "Download all attachments (zipped for English (US))

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Might be for encoding reasons of the compressed folder's name ?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I don't see this. I get the "Download all attachments" link but no dropdown allowing me to pick language. I have multiple language setup in Firefox too but that makes no difference. Are you using a non-English OS?

What PierreS says could be true. I seem to remember different language operating systems have different folder specifications which restrict the characters that can be used in them, which particularly affects double-byte languages like Japanese. But I could be wrong about that.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I have a German OS (unfortunately, as it makes looking up info and making screenshots etc. worse). Why don't they just figure out a name that would work on all folders, say, attachment-2008-12-12 or something? That might not be ideal but this language dialog seems confusing so that's not ideal either...

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

i don't see it too

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I see it too! Philipp: du bist nicht allein ;-)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm guessin, with no knowledge of german, that that means "Philipp, you are not crazy ;-)"

Am I right?

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

You're not alone, but yes that's roughly the same meaning ;-)

HaukeM [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Like the Google Watch Blog said, the menu only appears if one ore more of your attachments has any special characters like German 'Umlaute'. Choosing the wrong language option makes special characters turn to underscores or similar.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I have to pick the language too but only with text based files, this means that the zip algo use some coding related to letters frequency which is different in each language (Huffman).

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/Multimedia/node210.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!