Google Blogoscoped

Forum

google blogo not autorized to publish my drawing

Oliverandart.com [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, October 22, 2008
15 years ago5,052 views

Google blogo is not autorised to publish my artwork without my concent. Suit will be comming.

[Name updated to match subsequent posts – Tony]

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

What artwork are you referring to?

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Might be a clever new way to get some Google Juice. Start a controversial discussion with a link. That way , It won't be deleted and the guy will not have a backling, but definitely a plus in Google's algorythms.
Or it might be legit.

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

What art are talking about? Apologies if I am wrong, but this seems like a strange way of promoting your website, as I have not heard of / seen your art on this site

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]PierreS
The problem with that is it's not actually linked (although this could be because he didn't know how the forum works).

It's more likely that we are meant to go to the site to look to see which artwork was stolen, and buy something in the process. Although I now think less of him because of this pathetic attempt at advertising and would never buy his work.

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think that Google attributes some juice to site only mentionned (and not linked). That's just a guess, and the ponderation may be smaller. Pagerank includes thousands of parameters, and this could be one.

I don't think they just rank on follow link those days. They might even have things for mispelled URLs and so on

15 years ago #

[Moved from "my drawing caricature jet li not autorised on your forum" – Tony]

I am asking you for the last time to take out my drawing of Jet Li of your forum, please respect the artist copyright. at least you should ask the artist before to publish.

your link http://blogoscoped.com/caricatures/index.php5?q=jet+li

If you are not sure about the picture the link is please go to http://www.oliverandart.com/Other_EN.htm

Oliver

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Aha, It's based on the Google Search Results. So we're hitting the fair use policy question.
Has Google the right to display it ?
Oliver, have you done the same for Google ?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

PierreS, that would be my question too.

Given that Philipp is only embedding the image (rather than making a copy of it, which is actually what Google does) and that he's linking to the original source too, I would see this as being completely fair use.

Oliver, if you disagree with this usage of your drawings, this page should help you to remove your drawings from Google Image Search:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35308

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

That was only a small experiment, I disabled it for now. I might redirect to a Google search result or use thumbnails instead of larger images, but I don't think many people use that page these days anyway :)

15 years ago #

What I am asking is not to still an image from a personal website that I pay for without autorisation even google that get into my website when is written on every page (this is copyright reserved) it is exactly like I come to your home to still your belonging. It is not my dutty to ask google to remove, first dont still then I dont need to talk on this forum or to take action against google image.

Oliver

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Little French Aparte
[put at-character here] Oliver si tu lis encore le fil:
globalement, la position de Google est de dire, on indexe votre site, on affiche vos images, ca vous apporte du trafic et c'est un bon deal. Tout le monde n'est pas d'accord avec ca, mais juridiquement c'est couvert par le fair use. Philipp aime faire des experiences avec les resultats Google. En l'occurence il ne fait que remettre en forme les resultats. Le veritable coupable est donc Google.
En meme temps, refuser que Google t'indexe , c'est condamner ton site et tes oeuvres au silence sur le web. Les moteurs de recherche sont de facto les maitres du web.

15 years ago #

[Google's – pretty solid looking – auto-translation of what Pierre says:

"Overall, Google's position is to say, it indexes your site, it displays your images, it brings you traffic and it's a good deal. Everyone does not agree with it, but legally it is covered by fair use. Philipp likes to experiment with the Google results. In this case it merely restoring forme results. The real culprit is Google.
At the same time, t'indexe deny that Google is condemning your site and your works to silence on the web. Search engines are de facto master of the web."]

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Yup, Google Translate keeps impressing me those days :-)
Although there are still occasional hiccups, they're now only occasional.

oliverandart.com [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Philipp

This website does not have to be indexed by google since I am not selling any of my painting or drawing right now the only one I am selling are painted for the cause and the money collected are for some NGO. Painting for me is a pation that I want to share but not a living, I have my own work nothing to do with my art. Also I am not referring this website but only let my freinds knowing it. So the indexes of google I dont really care but what I care is in publishing my drawing some will just take it for commercial use and this is for me unacceptable. Google image also says in there FAQ that some photos are copyright but even that it does not stop people to use my painting or drawing without my concentment.

Oliver

KB [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Oliver, but why do you have a public website if it's only for your friends??? If you don't want other to see your works you have to make it non-public or say it with robots.txt. It's all up to you how you wan't it to be. Get some help with you website before you accuse other people.

15 years ago #

> So the indexes of google I dont really care but what
> I care is in publishing my drawing some will just take
> it for commercial use and this is for me unacceptable.

There weren't even ads on the caricatures search experiment, why would you consider this "commercial"?

> This website does not have to be indexed by google since
> I am not selling any of my painting or drawing right now the
> only one I am selling are painted for the cause and the
> money collected are for some NGO

Yes, there's a simple solution to this, as Tony Ruscoe tried to point out to you above: use robots.txt, a world-wide, accepted standard for all webmasters to exclude Google from indexing your stuff (which in turn would have prevented your image from showing up in the caricatures search experiment, too, as it was just accessing Google search). Not using the robots.txt might actually make you lose a copyright suit against Google in certain countries, like the US (though you may well be successful in certain other countries, like Germany – compare http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/16/AR2007051602454.html with http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-10-13-n22.html).

> Google image also says in there FAQ that some photos
> are copyright but even that it does not stop people to use
> my painting or drawing without my concentment.

Actually, people will always have the rights to use your drawings in *certain contexts* in *certain ways*, at least by US law: it's called "fair use." (Other countries sometime shave similar laws.) You can find more about it here: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

And as a side-note, beyond the current copyright 1.0 discussion we're having, here's something else worth a look: http://creativecommons.org

15 years ago #

Dear Philipp

Thank you for your long explaination that I found interesting and quite encouraging for me according the link you provided.

I beleive the first thing I should have done even before writing in this forum was just to talk to my lawyer to see what should be done. After his opinion I will be more in the position about what should I do and it is never late to do it now.

Oliver

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!