Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmails News: View Attachments as HTML and More  (View post)

Rube [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, December 7, 2005
18 years ago

The also changed the option from "Move to Trash" to just "Delete".

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

and trash has little trash icons next to it

Joe [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I liked the Move to Trash wording better. I don't like using the delete word for some reason. It's too generic, because I'm not trying to delete the mail, I'm just moving it to the trash bin.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I agree 100%. Unfortunatly, "Delete" doesn't convey what you are really doing. "Move to trash" does...

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Wasn't an initial catch phrase that you never delete anything?

Joe [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Where can you submit suggestions on google about something as small as this. I'd like to convey my opinion to google.

Gmail was the first time that a web based email impressed me so much, I basicly closed all my other email accounts including my ISP one and moved it all to gmail and I haven't looked back.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Delete is more conventional. When you want to remove something in windows, you dont "move to recycle bin" you "delete". I agree completely with this change.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, that is an option. You can choose to have delete mean "move to recycle bin" or "skip the recycle bin."

Joe [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Caleb E: I see your point, but I still believe delete to be too generic. Delete forever? Will I be prompted? Where do deleted Items go?

A novice user could see "Move to Trash" and know exactly what it does without giving it a second thought.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Wasn’t an initial catch phrase that
> you never delete anything?

Worst catch-phrase ever, unless they give me *unlimited* storage. :)

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

there should be a delete button.

Nathan Weinberg [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

Off topic, but how do I get a little icon next to my name? Also, ChoiceBlogger is misspelled in the sidebar.

Ran [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

When are they going to add an actual delete button instead of leaving it in the dropdown menu? Rewording it is a non-event as far as I'm concerned.

Faizal [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I still cant see all the changes, maybe not all account affected, if can give screenshot ;-)

--
fullfilth.be

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Faizal: What language setting have you got in Gmail?

The English (UK) version still has the "Move to Deleted Items" option. (I don't think it was ever called "Trash" for the English (UK) language version.)

The English (US) language version is always the first to be updated.

Frustrated [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

> Delete is more conventional.

Only because the meaning of delete has been bastardized to mean something it is not. Gmail's implementation of "Move to trash" really makes more sense when you think about it. When you move something in the trash, you can remove it or empty your trash. It's logical and intuitive. When you "Delete" something, it should do just that---be deleted. But no, it moves it into the trash. That's not what I told it to do. I told it to delete the email, and it didn't, it left it around for later review. Kinda makes me wonder what really happens to my email when I empty the trash...

<soapbox>
Let's all just stop being so politically correct. If a person deletes something, it should be gone--forever. If you did not mean to delete it, then why did you delete it in the first place? If you didn't want to delete it, you should have put it somewhere where you can get it back later.

Yes, I know it's sematics, but we have become so forgiving and tolerant of people's mistakes that people simply don't learn from them anymore. Hell. I say add a nice, big "Delete all email" button on the screen. When someone clicks it, everything...EVERYTHING...is gone. Boy, would Gmail get sued for that or what? People are so pathetically irresponsible...

</soapbox>

Veky [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You are ironic, aren't you? Haven't you ever accidentally clicked some button? Especially on a web page?

Second point, "delete" is almost never really "delete" in your sense. RAM, cache, backups, residual electromagnetism, radiation, even quantum phenomena get in the way... you can *never* be sure it's really gone. Information wants to survive just as any living creature.

opinionated [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

what other ppl think about gmail...

http://www.opinmind.com/search.jsp?q=gmail

Frustrated [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Veky, yes, I was being somewhat cynical, but also quite serious in many respects. While you are correct that "Delete" rarely means what it really should mean, the fact remains, in my opinion, that interfeaces are becoming so coddling in the name of user-friendliness that they become insulting.

User: Delete
Computer: Are you sure?
User: Yes
Computer: Are you absolutely sure?
etc.

Lack of personal responsibility and lack of personal accountability is so rampant that we are creating a society of ignorant, helpless, and dependent people who simply curle up and cower when something goes slightly out of the ordinary...

Veky [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

But is't because technology evolves much faster than the average human brain. Humans of today aren't more stupid, they just have to think about _much_ more things than their ancestors. And yes, Undo is much better than confirmation dialogs, it's old knowledge (http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=97581 , for example). Recycle bin is somewhere in between, I'd say. But there are other reasons (structure of GFS, for example) for Gmail's use of it.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!