Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail RSS Clips, and Spam Recipes  (View post)

david sanger [PersonRank 7]

Friday, December 9, 2005
18 years ago

It seems they insist in interspersing ads with the feeds. Even when I deleted all the default feeds and added my own, ads still appear in the webclips.

It's also unclear why anyone would want to see a random selection of entries from a feed.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I sent a suggestion to Google about allowing the We Clips section to be expanded, similar to how the "Labels" sections can expand by clicking the down arrow. This could open up a nice space to display grouped article titles. I also suggested optionally adding "blurb" text under each article title ala Google News.

Yes, this would increase the complexity of the page, but I think it would be useful...

-Jim

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I guess they want you to look more at the ads, so they make it an "interesting space" :)

Chicagosage [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

So we're up to at least four ways to read feeds with Google products (Reader, Google Desktop, the personalized homepage, and webclips), but no way to integrate the four...

I would like to see a web service that lets me create and store my OPML file, then have an API so other RSS readers could access it. That way if I use multiple readers and I decide to add or remove a feed, I only have to do it in one place.

I know Bloglines has the Sync API (http://www.bloglines.com/services/api/sync), but I wonder if it would have to be a neutral party hosting the OPMLs for other services to want to cooperate.

arsblog [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

the web clips ads seem to key off your email content same as the AdSense feeds...

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't like it that much.. the Items are random.. It should integrate with reader.. which I'm really beginning to like,

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

should just integrate reader with it. not have a separate feature. integration with other Google products is the key!

dk [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i've had web clips for months... what's the big deal?

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here] Philipp: its working, i look there much more often and find myself reading an ad before i realize it is

[put at-character here]dk: it was a limited release...an "alpha" release if you will. Now its a global release to all users.

Melvyn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Why is this funny? Once is funny. Ten times a day is simply annoying.
What's needed is a clever browser extension which turns them off when you're in the spam folder. I got the joke the first time Google, you're very funny. Now give me my selected feeds and not recipes including spam. Once is funny. Ten times a day is simply annoying.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!