Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Results That Let You Jump to a Part of a Page  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, December 17, 2008
15 years ago4,015 views

Now that's a handy feature.

Nobody will use it though.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

How is it handy? Or, I guess more accurately, how is it made handy? This will work with some pages and won't with others. Likely would generate an inconsistent user experience, unlike URLs that generally get you where you're going.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Not really. If it really lives, search engine optimization will soon include peppering your source with various <a name> tags (or id attributes, if you like XHTML), to better position your site (or a part of it:) in SERPs.

Information Man [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Well nice of Google to add this feature.
But I think there might be a better (more web 2.0ish) way of linking the most relevant website parts than anchors.

Google could add an attribute "quote" to the links in the search results which holds the most relevant textpart of the website for this specific search query.
After the click on the link, FuzzyLink would analyze the text given in the quote attribute and jump to this text on the linked webpage.

But look for your self how this might work ...
You can download the FuzzyLink Firefox Addon for Firefox 2 at
http://www.fuzzylink.com/how-to-use-fuzzy-link/

I would be glad to receive your feedback on this ...

jonathan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Probably best for the application to analyze the search term and then do the redirect itself. Zoominfo (www.zoominfo.com) did this a while back. But they changed it.

I am open to suggestions as to how we can do it at –

[tripcart.com/usa-regions/Catskills-Hudson-Valley,Spas.aspx]

If looking for a specific spa. Like "Hudson Valley Spa"

[unlinked]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!