Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What Do You Dislike About Google Chrome?  (View post)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, December 17, 2008
15 years ago29,159 views

I've been using it as my default browser at home since the first release. I use the official releases rather than the dev channel or Chromium builds. The recent non-beta release is a great improvement (they finally fixed my issue when scrolling up using my mouse wheel!) but here's what I still get frustrated about:

* No "Recently Closed Tab" restore option (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+T in Firefox).

* The text editing interface seems to behave a little weirdly when using Ctrl+cursor keys to move between words. Most UIs will always move the start of the word but Chrome seems to sometimes go to the end of the previous word. It also seems to ignore blank spaces at the end of lines in textareas, which affects me all the time when I'm typing emails, blog comments, etc.

* It sometimes incorrectly reports that form data has been submitted for some pages when clicking the "Back" button. (And, like Matt says, "Chrome doesn’t recover submitted form data as well as Firefox if you have to click the back button.")

* The scroll speed is *way* too aggressive. I move my mouse wheel one notch and the page moves almost the full height of the screen. This kinda makes sense but it's not how other applications behave, so it's requiring me to modify my behavior. I've even found myself using the scrollbar more often to avoid this which is annoying.

* Closing the final tab closes the browser. I'd like it to behave like Firefox so that closing the final tab simply closes the web page and creates a blank tab.

I'm sure there are more things too but those are the ones I can remember!

Temptation [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]deepikaur let me rephrase that. Incognito mode should be something I can disable from Chrome completely, with reinstalling the only way to get it back.

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

I really hate that there is no Mac version :p

Ian Davies [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

The number one thing for me that prevents me from using it is that there's no quick way to switch the language of the spell checker in forms. I'm constantly switching between English, German, French, Italian and Spanish, and in Firefox it's as easy as right clicking, pointing to Languages and clicking the right one. Chrome requires going into options, finding it, selecting it, and then <i>restarting the browser</i> before it takes effect. Not good enough! Shame, because apart from that I'd love to use Chrome.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Private browsing is a feature that will be included in all browsers. If you don't like it, nobody forces you to use it.

SirToast [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Overall I'm very pleased with the browser's performance, however 1 major thing, and 1 minor thing irk me. The major thing is a good plugin system for flashblock/adblock, and the minor thing is that middle clicking does not give the drag scrolling. I know the plugins are being addressed, but I hope they get the middle click action standardized.

Angelo [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

the most missing feature is tags for bookmarks. Once you get used to that using FireFox3 is difficult to work without it!

Andrisi [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Can't disabel spell checker, since it's not available in Hungarian, it underlines every word, except Google :-)

Esto [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Windows only browse... :(Can't use it

Rob O. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

The lack of autocomplete in forms is a big, big issue for me. It's the main thing keeping me in FF.

lolly T [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

No Extensions!!!!!!!!!!!

GeoNomad [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

1. Closing the last tab closes the browser. Even if a download is still in progress. It should open a new home page and/or remind you that downloads are in progress. Or the download should continue in a download window like FF.

2. No master password to turn password feature on and off. Safer pw management.

3. Back button form warning – drives me crazy. Read the cached page please.

4. No RSS feed finder. Just displays the xml code instead of going right to Google Reader.

5. Manage the start page shortcuts individually. Add , delete, order.

6. Bugs in the cookie management. May be fixed, haven't seen it so much lately.

Krishnamoorthy Karthikeyan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I just need these to switch to Chrome (from FF):

1) AdBlock plus
2) Delicious bookmarks extension like the one for FF

I am happy to switch over.

Ozh [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

- fugly washed out look
- no firebug

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Matt Cutts "No Full Screen Mode :-("

Thats why I use FullerScreen & Hide Menubar
http://disruptive-innovations.com/products/index.html
http://forum.moztw.org/viewtopic.php?t=15303

FF3 improved Fullscreen gratelly, when compared to FF2, but this addon makes it PERFECT
I now can choose what bars to hide, and even have status bar appear when mouse is over a link.

rof [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

google update and other nice "toys" that track user.

Incognito [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I'm a big fan of Google Chrome. However, there are some things that I hate.

1. I used Opera for quite some time and I was used to switching tabs in most recently used order. Chrome lacks this feature.

2. I don't like the download manager much, one of the reasons being – it does not give any notification once the download completes.

3. Of course, lack of plugins. Now that I use both Firefox and Chrome, I feel great using the addons in firefox.

4. Unlike Opera, Chrome lacks spatial navigation.

5. No full screen mode.

6. No RSS Feeds. I was very disappointed when I found out that Chrome does not support RSS.

7. No Mouse Gestures.

8. Cannot assign tags for bookmarks.

9. No ad blocking.

10. No smooth scroll.

11. Status bar does not give the full web address.

12. The name of a web page is truncated by the tabs when the name exceeds the tab space. The full name of the page can be seen only by hovering your mouse over the tab.

Prabhpreet Dua [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Simply, Linux and Ubuntu!!!!!!!!!
Hope you guys improve soon!

scjm [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Control F doesn't search inside of forms.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<< Control F doesn't search inside of forms. >>

It does in my Chromium trunk build.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It worked also with the first build of Chrome that included the bookmark manager

scjm [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Thanks Ionut. Whatever "Chromium truck build" means. I thought this thread was about Google Chome, not obscure beta versions of this browser.

Another complaint: A field has to be selected to right click paste. Right now this box is selected and if i want to paste something into the "Full name" field I have to first left click then right click. If I just straight up right click inside of that field, it has "paste" grayed out as if I have nothing in my clipboard. But i'll try updating my Chrome to see if a newer official version has this error fixed.

LW [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

"Recently closed tabs" is a problem for someone who doesn't want their husband to be looking over her shoulder as to her most recent site visits.

Make "Recently closed tabs" an option.

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

After Vista i'm only using linux....so no Chrome for me.

I am just flabbergasted that they could have written Chrome just for windows. Why? How?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I guess Google wants to direct more users to their search, by providing an alternative to IE. Most existing Linux users use Google as their primary search engine already.

I had a look at the code, and the security mechanisms around the implementation of "one process per tab" are very Windows-specific so it will take them quite a bit of work to port it to Linux. Even after that happens, the Linux version might always be the "poor relation". Fortunately, we have other great browsers available on Linux.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger

Does the "one process per tab" which is "very Windows-specific" also mean the Mac version will suffer as the Linux one?

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]James: the initial version of the security sandbox appears to have been designed with nothing in mind other than Windows. Not only does it use 32-bit system calls, but it uses _undocumented_ Windows 32-bit system calls:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/chrome-antics-did-google-reverse-engineer.ars/2

Regarding the Mac, Google is working on it and no doubt will deliver Mac and Linux versions of Chrome. As evidence of this we can read a little about the OSX Sandboxing Design:
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/sandbox/osx-sandboxing-design

I haven't yet found a corresponding design document for Linux.

15 years ago #

Ah, here's a relevant document regarding the Mac/Linux ports:

"In progress refactoring of key browser-process architecture for porting"
http://dev.chromium.org/Web-page-views

What a pity the developers didn't think about this before they developed the Windows-specific code.

15 years ago #

Thanks Rodger :)

While I have no experience in this area, you seem quite informed :D Would you be able to gauge, from your reading of this information, roughly how far off a mac/linux version is?

Also, I hope chrome has a mac style to it for the mac version...

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]James: There's no way I can guess how long it will take, other than to say that it won't take less than a month and shouldn't take more than a year.

15 years ago #

Haha, thanks so 2-11 months timeframe? :P

Steve Sal [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

#1 deal breaker: No extensions. In particular that means no AdBlock which is the real deal breaker.

Actually the real #1 deal breaker: No Linux version. What were they thinking coding it in a UI toolkit that was not cross platform?

Oh well.

brinke guthrie [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

yup, no extensions. I like Chrome, but FF 3.05 is my browser. I don't even have an IE shortcut anywhere, and I'd delete if I could.

IMJackAss [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

When posting in forum either submitting or previewing, it returns blank and your contents gone. There goes your well-thought content disappear before your naked eyes.

Im using latest Chrome (1.0.154.36) as of this writing. Obviously Chrome is way behind other top browsers like Firefox/Opera.

Anon ymous [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

No Linux/OS X/*BSD support.
Why isn't it based e.g. upon Qt4?

kguugihdfgjhf [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

definitely the crappy download manager. firefox's is better. but i still like google chrome. its just that the download manager stinks cuz it closes when you accidently close the browser.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!