Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Which Google Products Make Money?  (View post)

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, January 7, 2009
15 years ago19,159 views

Grand Central does not have a paid version currently, but it will eventually be implemented.

About jaiku [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I dont think Jaiku has any paid services and i have yet to spot any adds either. Their faq mentions following:

Our revenue comes from ads displayed on some of the pages on the Web site. In the future we plan to also offer pay-for features but you can always keep using the basic service for free.

However, i do have faint recollection that i read from somewhere that sms carries get also money for receiving messages and there might be some contracts that part of the money is paid to service provider even in "no extra costs" sms numbers like jaiku is providing.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

(Thanks Anonymous! The table is updated now.)

J [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

Why no Doubleclick services included on this list?

Google Affiliate Network
DART
everything else...

George R [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I do not see any entry for Gmail (i.e. Google Mail), which has paid ads

George R [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I see it now.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Interesting recent article on Google's money: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700ap_google_jobs.html

<<The 4,300 temporary workers mentioned in those documents represent a "subset" of the 10,000 contractors that Brin cited in October, so it would be incorrect to conclude the difference between the two figures reflects the total number of people cut by Google, spokeswoman Jane Penner said Wednesday. Penner would not specify how many contractors Google has eliminated.

The disclosures were made in an application seeking an exemption from rules that would regulate Google as a mutual fund if its investment activities diversify too far beyond government securities and other relatively low-yielding instruments such as money market accounts.>>

<<In the SEC filing, the company said it expects to devote roughly 18 percent of its annual expenses to research and development during each of the next two years. That's roughly the same percentage as the past four quarters, when its expenditures in the category totaled $2.7 billion.>>

<<Google also said it expects to buy other companies at a pace consistent with the past two years, when $4.2 billion in cash went toward acquisitions. Google's $3.2 billion acquisition of online ad service DoubleClick Inc., completed in March, accounted for most of that amount.>>

$14.4 billion in cash in those times... It's time to go shopping!

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Goosle, Goo$le, Google? MS, M$?

Can you see the difference?

Using Goo$le to represent the money prospect of Google is not so appropriate. It might be good to have G in golden color.

Amit Agarwal [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

Philipp – A small correction. Orkut displays text ads at least for users who are based here in India.

Amit Agarwal [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

See screenshot http://www.flickr.com/photos/amit-agarwal/3178136989/

John Wesley [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

What's up with proposing that Google affiliatize links in search results and within user's email? There is no way they could ever do that. It is such a massive conflict of interest, and in the case of email, invasion of user privacy. People would boycott for such a transgression. So unlikely, it's not even worth mentioning as a revenue alternative.

Max T. [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

You should correct this: Google Maps API does not (yet) run AdWords ads (even if Google Maps does).

From the Google Maps API Terms of service (http://code.google.com/apis/maps/terms.html):

4.5 Advertising. The Service currently does not include advertising in the maps images. However, Google reserves the right to include advertising in the maps images provided to you through the Service, but will provide you with ninety (90) days notice prior to the commencement of advertising. Such notice may be provided on relevant Google websites, including but not limited to the Google Geo Developers Blog and the Google Maps API Group (or such successor URLs that Google may designate from time to time). During that 90 day period, you may terminate your use of the Service, or provide notice of your refusal to accept advertising in accordance with Google's policies and procedures for providing such notice (which Google may make available from time to time in its sole discretion).

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The question "Which Google Products Make Money?" has a different answer from "Which Google Products charge subscriptions or show ads?".

For example, Google Chrome makes money because it funnels searches to Google. For every user who replaces IE with Chrome, Google stands a chance to gain more search traffic, which we know is highly profitable for Google.

Provided Chrome gets used, it can't fail to make money for Google.

15 years ago #

> I do not see any entry for Gmail (i.e. Google Mail),
> which has paid ads
>
> I see it now.

Yep, Gmail was in...

> What's up with proposing that Google affiliatize
> links in search results and within user's email?

I don't intend to propose it, I simply point out the existence of the possibility (though you may well consider it nearly impossible due to its implications).

> Orkut displays text ads at least for users who are
> based here in India.

Thanks, I adjusted the table!

> You should correct this: Google Maps API does not
> (yet) run AdWords ads (even if Google Maps does).

Thanks, adjusted now!

> The question "Which Google Products Make Money?" has
> a different answer from "Which Google Products charge
> subscriptions or show ads?".

I definitely agree, so that is the reason for the notes around the table disclaiming how the table is limited to take into account only certain direct effects. (A table on indirect effects would be a different and more subjective undertaking – for instance, think of how Google News being ad-free *may* increase the trust and liking towards Google you may have, which *may* increase the chance you pay for their New Paid Product X, or which may make you use Google web search...)

James Madison [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Google Apps PAID version may generate $1 or 2 Million per year in revenue and nothing more.

99% of Google Apps accounts are FREE users.

15 years ago #

Google got back to me with two answers, and I updated the table accordingly: neither the ordering of photo prints in Picasa, nor Google Books links which let you buy a book, make any affiliate money, according to Google.

Steve Holly [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I see the Google Mini but don't see the Google Search Appliance. Also, there is an enterprise version of Google Earth (Google Earth Enterprise) that is different from Google Earth/Google Earth Pro and there is also Sketchup Pro.

Steve Holly [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Sry, missed the Sketchup entry

15 years ago #

Steve, I mentioned the Google Search Appliance in the Google Mini row, maybe I should've made another row.
I added Google Earth Enterprise now, thanks for that!

johaneje [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Jaiku runs traditional Google text ads. At least they are displayed to users in Sweden. Try this page http://jyri.jaiku.com/presence/51677311 and you should see ads on your right hand side.

15 years ago #

(Thanks Johaneje, I updated the table!)

hathead [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

That´s very usefull.I´ll looked für this information because I´m currently writing an article about google and the current financial crisis.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!