Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Wonder Wheel Experiment, and More  (View post)

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, March 24, 2009
15 years ago12,576 views

Nice! i give it a shot.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Wow, nice! Pity it's not Java based :P

And a WMV? Yuk! ;-)

All in all though, this seems pretty cool

Nic Pfost [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

"Wonder Wheel" and "Recent" are the most useful.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

This is the most impressive Google feature I've seen this year. Check the snippets displayed for reviews, the category of recent results, sorting pages by date, the visualizations for suggestions etc.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I've seen a search engine that outputs results like the Wonder Wheel, but now I can't find it anywhere... Does anyone remember seeing anything like that before?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

http://www.kartoo.com ?

15 years ago #

You can close the bar with options and keep, for example the option 'more text' activated.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ionut
No, I saw that one with a Google search too... I looked through my "Search Engine" bookmarks and can't seem to find it – Although some of them are now dead links... I also tried searching Google, but nothing relevant comes up... I think it had to have been at least 2 years ago, but it was a "new" search engine that showed the results in a "web" like the wonder wheel and you could click one term and it would search again on that...

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

the cookie destroys the logo on the 404 page
http://www.google.com/error404

http://i42.tinypic.com/dynoxs.png

15 years ago #

The video's can be filtered on time. With the Search suggestions activated the topbar and the search results always stays on top when scrolling.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It looks very interesting. I don't know if it's the best way to handle data/refinements, but the data you can get with it is really cool.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Quintura... Close, but not the one I'm trying to remember... I know there is (or was) another search engine that showed results similar to the wonder wheel...

Jean-Noël [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

TouchGraph is perhaps a better example.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It was about time. Good job Google for understanding data visualization.

I wonder how these extremely useful features will play with Google's revenue stream and AdWords? There must be a reason why they haven't launched it already. Could this possibly dilute the ads in way too many different result pages and in a way negatively affect revenue?

Matt Amacker [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Were you thinking of http://soovle.com ?

'Course I wrote soovle.com so I'm going to take any opportunity to hope that someone is referring to it. ;)

Luca [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

i found an "infinite loop" starting from a word , Ikea , and going random i arrived at " cheap living room furniture" who propose "discount living room furniture" who propose again " cheap living room furniture" and again... adding any time a new circle.... until the infinite!!!

Paradoxiekunst [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

So coooooOOOOOOL! :-)) I am excited what will happen!

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Luka
I was going to post about that, I had "Pokemon" -> "Pokemon List" -> "Pokemon" :P

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

15 years ago #

This is pretty good. Finally some useful experiments to the search results!

Derek [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

When I add the cookie and click one of the new options, goes to same search page with an error at the top in yellow. "The option you have selected is currently unavailable."

Elijah [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I tried adding the code to url bar. It is javascript code. It won't let me hit enter. FF3

What am I doing wrong?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

You won't notice any loading, are you sure it isn't working anyway Elijah? Just do a search to be sure...

greyfell [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

the cookie isn't working for me at all... FF3

greyfell [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

nevermind...you just need to sign out of your google account.

SocialStream [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

ya its working after i log out . sweet :)

Liz Plummer [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

It won't work for me:(I wonder if it's because I'm in the UK.... I signed out and clicked on Google.com but it still didn't work.... looks cool

arvind [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

go to google.com, even if your home page is uk one goto google.com, sign out of google account, paste the js, thats it should work. Bad thoug that i can't keep my google account signed in

James Richardson [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Hey guys, had heaps of trouble trying to work out how to get this working myself, finally got there, here's a step by step guide:

http://www.jamesrichardson.info/?p=136

Hope this helps

Cheers

James

Travis Northcutt [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Pity that it only works if you're logged out.

Chris Mossom [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Works for me logged in, had to sign out, use the javascript then log in again.

Sebastian S. [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]mbegin

Surely you meant this one:

http://www.ujiko.com/v2a/de_htm/index.htm

"UJIKO"

Jo Mark [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Hi guys,

Google always surprise us with a cool features. I personally love Google like most of us. But a lot of us do not know about many of Google's features.

I like onlyjust.net which allowed me to explore all Google features and put them on one page, if you love Google, check it out, it's awesome.

WWW.ONLYJUST.NET

Thanks

Ivan Rečević [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Fine move into this kind of search.
Good idea (before Y2K) from Altavista, refurbished for 2009 :).
Back then they used Java, with Flash it would be much more lightweight.

dmn [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

this clustering reminds me of wiki mind map:

http://www.wikimindmap.org/

wonder why they called it wonder wheel though??

KentD [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I think Google has disabled this now; I get a message when I try to use any of the options that "This option is currently unavailable."
So in this case the beta is actually beta, and they don't want he load on their servers. To do the Wonder Wheel function, they have to do a nested search of terms related to terms related to terms...
But maybe next year.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> I think Google has disabled this now;

I'm still seeing it in my browser.

tct [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

beliefnetworks does something very similar to wonder wheel with concept mapping wheels.

they also have a pubic site via mashmeup.com

tm78 [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

This is great. I hope google keeps this and makes it a permanent search option. I love Google!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!