Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Multiple Download Offers on Google Homepage  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, April 15, 2009
15 years ago5,081 views

Epic, combine that with the "TRY GOOGLE LATITUDE NAO!!!" message I'm seeing lately and it seems like Google doesn't care about the whole self-promotion neutrality issue they had back when they promoted their products on the search page.

George R [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The bottom of that screenshot also has a link "Make Google my home page".

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think that has always been there when viewed in IE

Cormac [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

That's a remarkable step to take. The whole internet's gone mad.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

They are pushing Chrome like crazy. It's trivial to do through Adwords, AdSense and specific ads like what has just been spotted. But is it fair? Kinda similar to what Microsoft's aggressive "integrating it all into Windows" strategy. That is using their dominant position to kill competition.

Yaarik [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I saw it on one of our servers.. Google is getting all in my face these days – but Chrome is fast!

Jeffrey [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

The problem is that IE is still total crap. Google doesn't care what browser you have as long as IE is not dominant. That's all they're trying to do here, I think.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Alex: "using their dominant position to kill competition" i.e. to kill competition for Internet browsers??

sriv [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

First of all it is not a search page, so the question of neutrality is a moot point. Second, why is it more aggressive than having a link to any other google product on the page? If anything, I have a problem with the word "upgrade" which I think is misleading. Going from IE to Chrome is not an upgrade, technically speaking. Google is pushed to do this because outside the relatively small core of people who know about every product they offer, there is a huge majority of google users who have no clue about most of these products, and don't even think of google as more than a search engine. Marketing their products to the mass has been a big challenge for google.

mike [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

i got a promotion too,
see below picture:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EDnpdKfkJSVyf-cc41Qeew?authkey=Gv1sRgCPLH_dCOydffNw&feat=directlink

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[Moved from "New Chrome promotion on IE" – Tony]

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/996/newchromepromotiononie.jpg

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Google is also showing ads for Chrome under the Search box, with an icon.

http://www.websonic.nl/nieuws/042009/images/google_chrome_ad.jpg

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!