Google Blogoscoped

Forum

"Always display images from..." configuration missing?

Zim [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, April 29, 2009
15 years ago5,560 views

Since yesterday I lost my settings for "always display images from [mail]". First I thought it was because a specific "from:" changed, but then I noticed the problem was with every mail containing images.
The only thing I did yesterday was removing a POP3 accout (which is not related with those mails, and never was my default account).
Anyone else is having this problem?

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

didn't changed sth have the same problem

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think Google might decided to remove this option because spammers use images embedded in e-mail to track you and the "from:" header is unreliable and can be easily spoofed.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

My guess is it's due to something they changed with the Gmail HTTPS issues: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/154164.html

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

99,9999999% of my spam go is automatically labelled "spam". Why this annoying process? It has become very annoying for me.

90% of the emails sent by student associations in my business school are image only. It may sound crazy, but they do write their emails in Word, using Comic Sans, preferably in pink with a nice clipart, take a screenshot and paste it in Outlook.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I actually like having the images blocked... Even though the email is not spam, if it's a newsletter or something there's always tracking code to see if you've read or opened the email based on whether or not you've loaded the images that are embedded. So sometimes I can just scan the email to see if it's worth loading the images... Also, of course it loads faster and less of a load on Google's servers if the images aren't loaded by default every time.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I agree with mbegin. I don't like tracking images!
It would be nice to have an option in settings like this:

- Ask me every time before downloading images
- Download automatically images from people on my contact list, and ask me before downloading images from unkown addresses
- Always display images automatically

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Yeah that would be nice. Yahoo mail has those options under the "Spam" section in "Mail Options"...

-Always show images, except in Spam folder
-Show images only from my contacts.
-Initially block all images

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Interesting! I have to try other mail services like Yahoo and Hotmail, I don't use anything but GMail since 2004!

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Nah, Gmail's the best ;-)

k [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

maybe will be different options in mobile and classic version.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think whitelisting based on "From:" header was little misleading, because it sounds like you are only unblocking messages from a particular person, when in fact you were opening a door for a spammer to spoof this e-mail address and get around the protection. I guess Google had the same issues with it.

"Show images only from my contacts" would only make things worse.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

>> "Show images only from my contacts" would only make things worse.

The email would still need to get past Google's spam filters first though.....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!