Google Blogoscoped

Forum

FriendFeed themes [and real-time search]  (View post)

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, June 30, 2009
15 years ago4,807 views

A new option for FriendFeed, themes! Six news designs are available.

http://blog.friendfeed.com/2009/06/friendfeed-now-6x-more-awesomer-with.html

http://friendfeed-media.com/cda37c8e8cc1aba8a6aab8bfd3fb7fa2c72df3fe

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

As for Gmail themes, it's great to try but I always end up with the default one :)

BTW, Blogoscopers, what's your Friendfeed profile?

15 years ago #

https://friendfeed.com/websonic But I actually don't use it, that's why there aren't any followers :-(the messages are being send there automatically, just like with Twitter.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The themes are a good start, a couple more would be nice.

15 years ago #

"Can I choose how my profile or group page looks to other people? At the moment, selecting a theme will change how FriendFeed looks to you, and other people looking at your profile page will see it in whatever theme they've chosen. We know how important it is to be able to customize how your profile page or group page looks to the outside world, and while that isn't part of today's release, it's on the roadmap."

15 years ago #

Another update:
http://blog.friendfeed.com/2009/07/real-time-search-we-have-it-its-here.html

15 years ago #

This real-time search could be huge if bloggers and media websites would embed it to track breaking news.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

... and to slow down their sites.

Above 8 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

orhan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

phillip, why are you insisting on pushing friendfeed in front of us incessantly?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Orhan, real-time search is an interesting area of search technology, which is part of what his blog covers. Are you able to give one *good* reason why Philipp should not have reported on this?

orhan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]tony, up until now, I haven't seen a *good* reason to use friendfeed. and I don't think I will ever use friendfeed to search something even it had the ultimate search technology.

for me, it's just an aimless and unnecessary to tool to mix things up. I have seen so many posts about friendfeed here and I cannot stop thinking whether there's any affiliation between blogoscoped and friendfeed.

I will be always here to see the fate of friendfeed.

15 years ago #

Orhan, this post was not just about Friendfeed, but also about search, and as search space competitor to Google it's very relevant to Google. (Not necessarily "an equal competitor to Google web search" or anything – it's not really comparable in that way at all – but just something in the search space that could have certain implications or inspirations to Google/ searching/ Google users/ how we understand search to work etc.)

> I cannot stop thinking whether there's any
> affiliation between blogoscoped and friendfeed.

I think it makes sense to occasionally* question bloggers on their affiliations etc. (it makes sense for other news sources you might read, too). So, to put your mind to rest, affiliations which are relevant are disclosed in posts, and ads go to the right-hand side ad box at Blogoscoped.

[*Emphasis on "occasionally." If you completely mistrust a blog, then it would probably be in your best self-interest to not read it at all, as it would put you at risk of getting lots of misinformation, right?]

Do you know other real-time search engines which I failed to cover properly in the past? I might write a new post.

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]orhan: I follow Philipp, Tony, Ionut (Google Operating System), Luka & Tomhtml (Zorgloob), but also many Google's employees.

It's become my favorite source of information about Google, and in my opinion, the goal of the service, its development, and the company's values are very close to Google's ones.

orhan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

well, thanks for all answers. I've been following blogoscoped since 2005. I don't think anyone would have a sound reason to follow a blog if it was *completely* mistrusted. I trust blogoscoped almost completely, and that's why I question as I sense a disturbance in my belief in the posts of friendfeed.

Philip, in your posts you usually give screenshots or videos and you don't give place to example usages of outer sites (as they might get unusable in the future).

I will, of course, not read this blog when I start completely mistrusting it. Time will tell everything.

15 years ago #

> Philip, in your posts you usually give screenshots or videos
> and you don't give place to example usages of outer sites
> (as they might get unusable in the future).

If it's a Google service I'm more likely to consider adding a static screenshot of a widget, or adding a zoom pic. I guess the reason is that this blog can be useful when you want to look at how old Google stuff looked like, but it's less trying to cover the development of other services in general.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Since there are so many posts about FF on this blog, why not opening a new blog just for it? Judging by the number of posts, there must be a lot excitement over FF so that would be a nice opportunity.

There is something that gets me about FF. It's the continual promotion it receives, not only through this blog, but through the entire blogsphere. That promotion isn't well justified AFAIK. For example I don't think Paul is the inventor of Gmail. Yet a google search for "inventor of Gmail" (http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_en-USFR295FR306&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=the+inventor+of+gmail) sends me straight to blogoscoped.

Philipp, I love your blog but I think there are tons of other start ups and fun projects you could cover. I am personally not interested about FF.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!