Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Spiegel Criticizing Google for Bundling Google Earth With Chrome  (View post)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 21, 2009
14 years ago4,435 views

lol, that is not really a new story :)
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,597892,00.html here they also linked us (googlewatchblog)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

(Thanks for the link Hebbet... I know the bundling is not new, but what I found a noteworthy development is that this Microsoft-style criticism was on the Spiegel frontpage today.)

Arie [PersonRank 3]

14 years ago #

I don't like those bundling. you end up spending time cleaning up. Apple does that when you download a Quicktime player, you get iTunes, unless you pay attention and opt-out..

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Here's the full download link for Windows (no Chrome, no Updater):

http://dl.google.com/earth/client/GE5/release_5_0_1/GoogleEarth-Win-Plus-5.0.11733.9347.exe

Hugh Isaacs II [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Doesn't Apple do this with iTunes, Quicktime, Bonjour and Safari?
(How comes no one ever seems to notice Apple when they do what their opponents do?)

I don't think bundling is an issue though, users should just pay more attention.

waymnarrosy [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Ich tue Abbitte, es kommt mir nicht ganz heran. Wer noch, was vorsagen kann?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

QuickTime and Bonjour are required frameworks within iTunes. Safari caused an uproar when it was bundled with the windows version of iTunes in a software update. It's now under "Additional Software" in the software updater on Windows.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Waym, for what it's worth, your German does not make much sense :)

Mike Turner [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Apple, not Microsoft, is the kingpin of evil when it comes to this. This was sent via an iMac.

Philip [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

People should already be using chrome anyway, it's clearly the best browser.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philip
On what criteria?

So far I have tried IE8, Fx3.5, Opera Unite, Safari for Windows, and Chrome. None of them have been able to do simple things like clean my apartment, let alone the toilet.

I am sorely disappointed.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Wow! A browser is supposed to do that?

Philip [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]mrbene

That functionality is in chrome private beta and available on an invite only basis. I was fortunate enough to have an invite, my apartment has never been so clean!

Yaarik [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

you guys.. :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!