Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Box Shows Both Sides of the Issue  (View post)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, August 9, 2009
14 years ago4,191 views

This particularly applies the the BBC in the UK, which is officially required to be impartial. In practice, this means that it presents the most popular viewpoint, "balanced" by the most bland opposing viewpoint. Out-of-mainstream viewpoints get disproportionately little attention.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

TV vs. reality.

The numbers might represent authority or knowledge. Unfortunately on TV not the most knowledgeable people speak out.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Alex: I think the numbers represent a position on some political issue. For instance, abortion debates are almost always framed in terms of pro-life or pro-choice, even though a wider range of viewpoints exist, both between those and outside them (what about rape? what about cases where the mother might die? what about late term abortions? what about universal health care + abortion?)

My favorite is the person saying "ABC" – they're bringing a viewpoint to the table that's totally different from the rest of the people, but they're at the end, being totally ignored.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Ugh, this is why i don't watch TV. Everybody, kill your cable subscription, save some money, and hook up a computer to you TV for all the content you could ever want at any time.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

That is exactly what I have done, DPic :D

My national broadcaster has also finally launched a webplayer at http://www.rte.ie/player/ (If you want, look at "Naked Camera" it's a funny prank show) so I really don't need a TV for anything at all.

Luisa [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

YouTube should host debates like how they have done with the orchestra, let users vote on topics, representatives and moderators.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!