Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Facebook Acquires FriendFeed

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 10, 2009
14 years ago4,552 views

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/10/facebook-acquires-friendfeed/

<<Facebook has acquired FriendFeed, we’ve learned. We’re gathering details now.

At this point details on the acquisition are still very sparse, but it’s clearly a good match. Over the last year or so, Facebook has “borrowed” quite a few of features that FriendFeed popularized, including the ‘Like’ feature and an emphasis on real-time news updates.>>

14 years ago #

http://blog.friendfeed.com/2009/08/friendfeed-accepts-facebook-friend.html

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[moved from "Friendfeed Acquired by Facebook!?!"]

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/10/facebook-acquires-friendfeed/

<<At this point details on the acquisition are still very sparse, but it’s clearly a good match. Over the last year or so, Facebook has “borrowed” quite a few of features that FriendFeed popularized, including the ‘Like’ feature and an emphasis on real-time news updates.>>

<<Obviously Facebook has already built out some of FriendFeed’s functionality so there is some overlap, but there are still numerous ways FriendFeed beats out Facebook’s News Feed setup. One of these is the way stories are ‘floated’ to the top as new users comment on them. And FriendFeed’s system is truly real-time, unlike Facebook’s feed which users have to manually refresh.>>

<<... the biggest win here for Facebook is the FriendFeed team, which includes an all-star cast of ex-Googlers.>>>

Nothing on FriendFeeds page as of yet... Not sure I like this.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I'm surprised.

Here's the Friendfeed discussion around the official Friendfeed blog post:

http://friendfeed.com/friendfeed-news/ecc7eb46/friendfeed-accepts-facebook-friend-request

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Saw it half an hour on techcrunch, but back then they didn't have any official sources, got to say I am quite suprised about this... what advantage does this give to friendfeed... it will probably destroy ff and only half the features will be implemented into the main news feed in fb... which is already quite slow to load :/ Not that I care that much, as I ain't using ff, but still

14 years ago #

http://www.facebook.com/press/releases.php?p=116581

Zim [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Incredible... I don't know if it's good news... I don't use ff a lot, but I don't see facebook going that way. Facebook is full of "newbies", while friendfeed is used by more experienced users. These two networks are different, their users and uses are different...
Well, I'll be happy if I can keep my ff /zim vanity url...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Enjoy it while it lasts. I doubt we'll still see FriendFeed.com in six months.

que [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

<<Enjoy it while it lasts>>

Exactly...this is mostly a competition and talent buyout, not a Friendfeed-Facebook integration strategy. I wonder how long Paul B. and Co. will stay onboard though especially since they won't all be on the same 'team' any longer at FB. Part of the reason the ex-Googlers left the mothership was to free themselves from the large corp environment. My quess is that 12-18 mos. from now, they'll feel that grind of the big corp machine and have the itch again to move on to a new startup – and maybe catch the next...wave.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Read on FF: facebook + friendfeed = big wave competitor.

I've been a very active FF user for months, and this news doesn't look good at all. Like Philipp, I'm very surprised and like Matt Cutts, I hope it will encourage FB to open up.

I really think there a huge difference (incompatibility?) between FF and FB in terms of philosophy. As I heard on FF, this acquisition is probably about killing a potential competitor and talent (money only, for FF).

What I want to know:
* price
* what will happen to our FF data? Will "old FF" be "jaikued"?
* any condition about Fb future development using FF's techs)
* how much will the FF team will influence Fb decisions? What positions will Paul, Bret and Kevin get?
* did Google approach FF?
* will Twitter now accept to get merged with Google (Wave)?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

NOOOOOO

...and now to read the actual posts instead of just the title

14 years ago #

Despite the fact that I first took it merely as a manpower acquisition it has to be said that it may be handy for facebook that they can now without possible legal problems implement all ff aspects into their news feed. Still that would be 100% against the philosophy of ff as it would lock you to fb again... hmm... check out the following post, its half a year old and may be interesting http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/04/12/you-will-be-using-friendfeed-in-the-future-but-it-may-be-called-facebook/#

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Ick. FriendFeed is way less annoying than Facebook's "endless stream of every silly thing your friends do." Or, I should say, Friendfeed is exactly as annoying as I decide it is, based on what I tell it I want.

Bah. I guess I am the grumpy old man in the back who'd rather they went to anybody else.

Robert K [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

It's no big deal. FF was pathetic. Founded fluff and on fake stories such as: "I'm the creator of Gmail and I have re-invented the email". Or "I'm such a genius I also thought about AdSense and created the first prototype in one day!". The only thing I give to the guy is the prototype in one day.

The only value of FF was its social network mostly promoted by blogs like this one.

Roger J [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Nice they are cashing in $$$. Was it really worth the promo and all the buzz?

Please refer to a previous comment I had made on this blog: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/151446.html#id151864

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

$50M for the acquisition including $32M in Facebook stocks. This $32M might actually be worth way much more once Facebook goes public. My bet is that the FF founders knew that Facebook might be going public anytime soon and they tried to maximize profit.

Pity that the service is going offline soon. I feel bad for all FF users. As a FF user myself, I actually feel abused.

[put at-character here]Roger J: No there aren't fully cashing in yet!!

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]J. McNair: In fb you can now choose quite effectively as well what and who you want to see on your news feed by removing people or applications and even allowing an application to publish 'less' items. The only problem in fb is that all options are not always consistently integrated.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!