Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Orkut to be overtaken by Facebook in India

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, September 30, 2009
14 years ago3,962 views

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/09/30/facebooks-plan-to-trounce-orkut-in-india-may-be-working/

Abandon shiiiippp!!!

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Anyone else think Wave might replace Orkut and compete with Facebook?

Ever since the first Wave video I felt as if Wave was trying to be a social communication site...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I sure hope it does, but i'm not sure how that would play out. Wave functions differently-- i'm curious how it could mimic what facebook/orkut/myspace do.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The whole "add someone to a Wave" seems a lot like Facebook Events (except better). And you can share photos and stuff. Wave supports communicating instantly a la Facebook Wall.

Personally, I don't see how it's any different from Facebook.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Because wave is a much more private network. Public groups and such-- those would only be possible through applications, right? Although i actually think that would be a better model. Facebook might continue to exist-- as a mere application for wave =P

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Ya I agree. In fact when I was posting that comment, I was thinking about how Wave is more private than Facebook. You can pick and choose who sees your messages seamlessly in Wave (at least from the Videos).

Though I'm eager to try it and do think this will make life a little easier, I'm just not buying into the hype...well at least this moment.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I'm buying the hype to a reasonable degree. I'm exited. I think/hope it will replace email, but i'm not going to think too much more than that. It'll be great an all, but people don't seem to really understand what it is. Even those that do might be disappointed that it is still rather buggy and slow. One of the problems i see with Wave is that it's a harder protocol to implement. Email was easy for anyone to set up-- but wave is much more complex. This might drive the power upwards, so that there are fewer providers. We've officially deviated completely from this thread's intended topic haha

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Hahaha. I sure hope you're excited as well ;) (sorry couldn't resist).

I'm one of those that don't understand how Wave is different. My only source of info on Wave has been the videos, so my expectations might be off, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised =). I really do hope it will replace Email. Wave is more private and far more useful looking – at least from the videos.

Orkut is a piece of crap. It definitely taints the Google brand. It is nowhere near the level you'd expect from a Google product. Then again, isn't it supposed to be a rip-off or something? I'm glad Facebook is catching up in India (hopefully soon in Brazil too). I really hope Google shuts Orkut down.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

<<I really hope Google shuts Orkut down.>> They can't take away the site from those users, but they can sure as hell sell it or make it an independent company.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"Anyone else think Wave might replace Orkut and compete with Facebook?"
> No, you are alone thinking that.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"> No, you are alone thinking that."

=(

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"> No, you are alone thinking that."

Apparently not ;)

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=0C79515B-1A64-6A71-CEA469F03BD96B03

<<Analysts say that Google's Wave collaboration and communication tool could find its initial success as an alternative to social networks like Facebook, Twitter and MySpace.>>

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I think it was a joke?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Bleh I fail.

So DPic, did you end up getting an invite?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

::still sobbing::

NO! D'x

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

=(

I hope the nominations end up as invites...I'd really like to try it

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"Bug" in Orkut apparently preventing friend exports

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/01/google-has-a-plan-to-stop-the-mass-exodus-from-orkut-no-friend-exports-for-you/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!