Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Changing Chrome app from blue to another color?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, October 3, 2009
14 years ago4,397 views

You can skin Chrome, but how can I change the default blue top bar color in Chrome application shortcuts? I mean the thing that turns a web app into a pseudo desktop app, reachable via Page menu -> Create application shortcut. For some reason it ignores my theme settings... I just want to turn it from light blue to dark blue or something.

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

You mean this?
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9818/30910630.png
You're probably using Windows XP, huh....

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Then it would be this, under "How to tune your screen's appearance"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/look.mspx

Cookie Lee [PersonRank 9]

14 years ago #

Well, I guess Philipp wants a way to do so with Chrome (no need to change system settings)... ...

JEShack [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It can't. Themeing Chrome only affects the tabbed Chrome and while incognito. (that includes the extensions bar, bookmarks bar, buttons (thru tinting) & the new tab page)
Thus, it doesn't affect the web apped mode, the Options dialog and Bookmarks Manager.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> Then it would be this, under "How to tune your
> screen's appearance"

The thing is, Google Chrome ignores my system settings. When I use Firefox Prism to turn my app into a pseudo desktop app, it acknowledges my system settings and colors the app like any other app... that's what I was looking for.

So far, Prism is better than Chrome apping except for two things:
- in very large filled textareas, Chrome can insert things into the textarea faster
- the Chromed app loads a bit faster

Prism on the other hand looks much more like an actual app. For instance, the Chrome app context menu (when I right click it on the task bar) is very crowded, putting some distance between the cursor and where I can click "close window". Prism/ Firefox also lets me pick the Fixedsys font, which somehow Chrome ignores. Prism also scrolls the larger textarea a bit smoother (Chrome sometimes lags when scrolling).

Thanks for the info so far everyone.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!