Google confirms the existence of Google Spanner

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, October 25, 2009
14 years ago5,302 views

More at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/23/google_spanner/

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

You could at least write two or three more words here to explain us what is Google Spanner, Juha-Matti... It's a forum here, not a copy-and-paste bin for URLs. Thanks in advance.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

<<Google’s massively global infrastructure now employs a proprietary system that automatically moves and replicates loads between its mega data centers when traffic and hardware issues arise. (...)

The platform is known as Spanner. [Google fellow Jeff Dean's] presentation calls it a “storage and computation system that spans all our data centers [and that] automatically moves and adds replicas of data and computation based on constraints and usage patterns.” This includes constraints related to bandwidth, packet loss, power, resources, and “failure modes”.>>

14 years ago #

The importance of snippets is known, and I will make a snippet always when it is possible.
However, many of my contributions are made by mobile phone's browser. After reading TOMHTML's comment I tried to find Select All type command from phone's menu, but it doen't exists. Additionally, you can send a Web page as e-mail and SMS, but don't save it to the phone's editor.
Immediately when I find this feature I'll post snippets too! :) The phone is Nokia E series phone.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Would it be possible to wait and just post useful information when you're on a desktop instead of "spamming" the forum with single links from your phone and then coming back the next day and "bumping" your post to the top of the list again by pasting the snippets? If you're on your phone could you just browse the forum in "read-only-mode"?

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Nice Say mbegin . hahahahahahahahahah

/pd [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Actaully snippets are good.. I agree with Juha-Matti.

At times, it important to point to source and just keep moving on. People who are interested will make up their own opinions.

I think whats more important, is that Juha is 'sharing" infonugguts..crowd sourcing is an art that few people understand :)-

14 years ago #

Good thoughts... The fact is that we can't always affect to the situation how much we have free time and *when*.
Contributing this forum is a hobby and made for free.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!