Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What are Google’s real motivations behind Chrome OS?

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, November 28, 2009
14 years ago3,745 views

Vijay Pandurangan (Ex- Googler) Says:

Chrome OS is Google’s latest entry into the consumer space. It is designed to be an operating system that runs on customized hardware and provides the user with only a state-of-the art browser running HTML-5 and some plugins. The tech (and mainstream) media has seen no shortage of opinions about its meaning and future impact on the industry. Unfortunately, I think most people have missed some of the key implications of Chrome OS.

[As a disclosure, I am a former Google employee, having worked there from 2002 to 2008, but I don't have any inside information on this project. In fact I didn't even know of its existence before I left.]

Google has two main aims with this project:

To use the Google brand and buzz about its “game-changing OS” to push for new and better web apps using nascent technology. This lets Google reduce its customers’ dependence on local apps it does not control.
Once a lot of these apps are deployed and become heavily used, the mass market will force owners of closed systems like the iPhone to implement support for HTML-5, the latest version of HTML, and rich web interfaces. Coupled with net neutrality (which Google currently strongly supporting) this will allow Google to circumvent uncooperative devices and network providers, and access consumers currently hidden behind locked system.
Here is a more detailed analysis:

(Source) : http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/27/what-are-googles-real-motivations-behind-chrome-os/

Franta H. [PersonRank 6]

14 years ago #

I think that one of the primary motivations is to lower Microsoft's profit. Google releases Chrome OS > less people buy Windows > MS earns less money > MS invests less money for competing with Google (that is mainly Bing).
So Google is basically protecting its business.

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

what ever the motive is , i just want good apps and end of Micro$oft Monopoly .

Google rules

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Please use quotation marks or <<<text >>> when quoting, you have written these marks earlier but stopped now:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/163708.html

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It's a good article, it's hard to counter-attack his arguments.

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

sorry i forget , my mistake :(

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

As much as i'd love to see Microsfot fall, i'd like to make two points. This isn't directly aimed as an attack towards Microsoft. It might hurt them, but Google's main goal is to shift everyone towards the use of web applications. This is where they make their money. Secondly, as much as i truly despise the Microsoft corporation, if Google uses their monopoly to hold all of our data hostage on the cloud, forcing us to continue paying for access, i'll hate them just as much. Does it look like that's what they'll end up doing? Quite possibly.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

>> if Google uses their monopoly to hold all of our data hostage on the cloud, forcing us to continue paying for access, i'll hate them just as much. Does it look like that's what they'll end up doing? Quite possibly.

I think they're trying to do the opposite...

<< The Data Liberation Front is an engineering team at Google whose singular goal is to make it easier for users to move their data in and out of Google products. We do this because we believe that you should be able to export any data that you create in (or import into) a product. >>

http://www.dataliberation.org

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

google give u free products then will use info about u . who u r what u like/dislike then show u those ads which u will not them as ads but rather think this is useful info. its a win-win-win situation for all of us , u , me, google and ther ad buyers (only if u dont serious about ur privacy)

check this two parodies (which might became true in future ;)

Google SMS (Part IV of "The Googling")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0LfUhUK678

Google My Maps (Part III of "The Googling")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0v-4qUod3o

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

BizAbh channels ex-Googler Vijay Pandurangan, who says:

> Google has two main aims with this project:

> To use the Google brand and buzz about its “game-changing OS” to push for new and better web apps using nascent technology. [...]

Show me another company/ promethean [as in promoting its own strategy or ideology] enterprize that doesn't use its actions to push for –in their own view– better utilization of own tech or mêmes. It's a very bland way of expressing what Google to grow bigger; perhaps we could be spared similar nonsensical insights in the future?

[Personal attack removed – Tony]

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[Offensive personal attack removed – Tony]

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Some users don't understand that online communities and forums always have their rules.

"Rules: Please post in English (so we can maintain the forum),don't personally attack people (you can attack their ideas), don't post off-topic stuff unless it's worthwhile,don't use all upper-case or all lower-case, don't make the same point over and over again (and so on, we can't list everything here)"

I have nothing else to say... :(

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!