Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google sued by Chinese author Mian Mian

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, December 29, 2009
14 years ago2,798 views

From BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8433345.stm

"A Beijing judge has told the Chinese novelist Mian Mian, who is suing Google over its plan to create an online library, to hold settlement talks.

After a two-hour hearing, the court ordered both sides to talk but did not set a deadline for reporting back, according to the author's lawyer.

She is seeking damages of 61,000 yuan ($8,950; £5,576) and a public apology.
...."

14 years ago #

Also http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j2vrLEvlPU70fbm8nanjsLrxBTLQ

8,950 USD is about 6200 €(?).

RiyAndroid [PersonRank 8]

14 years ago #

[OT] one thing i want to say is that i never heard any one's first name and last name is same , like here Mian Mian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 years ago #

Very, very rare, in many countries laws even don't accepct this.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

First of all, you didn't hear it, you read it in English transliteration online; the whole name may well be incomplete from our Western/Caucasian [I presume] point of view. Also, while both its parts may well be written alike, that doesn't mean they are pronounced the same, nor that any Chinese-speaker would ever mistake (or fail to distinguish between) their parts. Besides, for all we know, this may be a literary pseudonym, chosen precisely for its double-segment "symmetry" because it has a special meaning within the chosen cultural or other context ["Mian Mian writes risque novels about China's underworld of sex, drugs and nightlife."], of which we here –as a whole & by and large– are blisfully ignorant.

Back to on-topic: what does Mian Mian expect to accomplish by –in effect– having her novels removed from search indices, which is what drives book inquiries and sales these days?

14 years ago #

Thanks for sharing these facts (about OT) to us.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!