Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Reddit: Who do you trust more? Apple, Google or Microsoft?

Jérôme [PersonRank 10]

Friday, March 12, 2010
14 years ago5,087 views

Interesting discussion http://www.reddit.com/r/geek/comments/bc1f3/ok_im_curious_who_do_you_trust_more_apple_google/

<<Google gets the most respect from me. They try new things, everything they make is free to consumers, and they just seem like geeks with awesome ideas wanting to make everyone's life a bit better. I can relate to that. They don't spend their massive bankroll hiring lawyers to stifle competition like Apple. They may have all of my personal information, but what will they do with it if/when they go "evil"? Tell the world I have a thing for black women and that I check tracking numbers a hundred times a day? Who cares?>> orochidp

<<I believe that all of them are absolutely selfish, but Google's best interest overlaps with my best interest the most.>> king_of_blades

<<Schmidt said what he had to say. Look, his hands are tied. If the government subpoenas him, he has no choice. What he did was give a warning. "Look everybody, we're big, and we're an easy target. If you put your illegal stuff on our servers, the government can get to it. You should probably put that stuff elsewhere." Based on Google's track record, they have been great advocates for their users and privacy. That's much more than can be said for either Apple or Microsoft.>> ryanjkirk, replying to an (expected) comment about Eric's statements about privacy.

<<(...) But, Google do things a bit differently. They currently have, and have had for many years, a virtual monopoly on web search. And what have they done? They've worked on the technology as much as possible, and when they can't make it any better, they work on something else. Sure they implemented ads many years ago, but they picked the least invasive (and least "evil") method I could think of to do so. How do you think MS would handle that situation? Continue to innovate, or stop slowly squeeze it for money? (Here's a clue: many years ago "MSN search" as it was dubbed back then had paid links that appeared identically to "organic" results, right up until they got spanked by the FTC for it).>> smellycoat

<<I have zero trust in all three. People who trust google are fools, because google has yet to come to that "push comes to shove" portion of their company lifecycle where they have to do bad things to maintain profitability. It's easy to "do no evil" when you're making money hand over fist no matter what you do. But when you're scraping by, all bets are off. Apple has gone through tough times, and right now MS kind of is getting there. Both those companies have been relatively benign (current iPhone develop policies notwithstanding). We don't know what google will do yet if they get to that point, but they certainly have lots of information about us, and it should cause alarm.>> hockeyschtick

<<He gazed up at the minimalistic page. Twelve years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the colorfull letters. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Google>> AlanFord

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Google searches:

"i trust google": 411,000 results
"i trust apple": 140,000 results
"i trust microsoft": 568,000 results

"i don't trust google": 38,700 results
"i don't trust apple": 10,700 results
"i don't trust microsoft": 36,400 results

Of course it doesn't really mean anything, but it surprised me.

RiyAndroid [PersonRank 8]

14 years ago #

i trust Google fully , trust Microsoft little much but certainly not Dictator Herr $teve Job$ company Apple .

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

king_of_blades said it best:

<<I believe that all of them are absolutely selfish, but Google's best interest overlaps with my best interest the most.>>

Heidegger [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

I don't trust any of these companies. But if had to choose, I'd pick Apple, and then Google beating Microsoft by a hair.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I think I trust Apple most, then Google and lastly Microsoft.

Jérôme [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

OT: interesting article about trust 'between' Google and Apple
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/technology/14brawl.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!