Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Rumor about Google's Chrome to bundle Adobe's Flash

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
14 years ago3,529 views

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-20001370-2.html

Rumor: Google's Chrome to bundle Adobe's Flash:
"Google is planning to bundle its Chrome browser and/or operating system with Adobe Systems' Flash in a deeper partnership, we've heard from reliable sources.

The announcement, which is expected to come on Tuesday, is an interesting wrinkle ahead of the launch of Apple's iPad, which famously doesn't include Flash. Adobe-Apple relations are chilly, to say the least.
...."

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Not a rumor anymore:
http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2010/03/dev-channel-update_30.html

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Disgusting, why would they do that?

JEShack [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Hmm.. but flash seems to be useful in Google in so many ways despite being propriety. Especially on Youtube and even in Gmail for multiple upload.
So maybe it's a good idea, but would that increase Chrome's file size?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]JEShack: yes it must increase Chrome's file size.

[put at-character here]James: agreed, it's a pity. Apple and Google acting together would probably have marginalized Flash enough that it would be replaced by open standards.

Flash has had numerous security problems over the years; I would have thought it was in Google's best interests to move away from Flash as quickly as possible.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

On one hand, having an agreement with Adobe to bundle with Chrome OS might mean Adobe actually puts some effort into Flash for Linux. On the other, I've disabled Flash in Chrome except on Google Maps (For streetview) and Blogoscoped (for embedded YouTube videos), and I'm not missing it.

Also:
"There is no bundled Adobe Flash Player plug-in for 64-bit Linux."
Probably for the best.

ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]"why?" – because Flash plugin is required for legacy ad views; Chrome is Google's OS and/or browser; and Google is above everything else the premier adware vendor on this planet. I'm sure an army of Harvard-trained monkey economists have had a go at this with their spreadsheets and came up with many manyzer0000000000ed figures. Elementary, me dear James Xuan ;-))

Mind you, it's early days yet. If the web moves away from runtime Flash, and/or Adobe is unable to deliver a stable release of it for Chrome, there is nothing to prevent Google from suddenly announcing, say, "Google and Adobe Systems have reached an amicable agreement to unbundle the Flash from the Chrome OS and browser, effective immediately" on the very same http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/ blogspot blog.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!